Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: OGD proof change?

Lets not give them any ideas Josh.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    This ain't a shortage, this is just greed on the part of Beam. Shame.
    Is it, though? I'm seeing OGD 114 in stores where it's never been before. I wonder if they're focusing more attention on that label, and seeing increased sales. The BiB is, I believe, the best-selling BiB around, so I hope that sticks around because I'm fond of it, too.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I agree. Or raise prices. Would anybody here stop buying OGD 114 if it cost $5-$10 more? I doubt very many would. I wouldn't. It's worth at least that, and I would rather pay more than lose that and the BiB.
    I believe Beam loves us...I believe Beam loves us...I believe Beam loves us...I believe Beam loves us...I believe beam loves us...I believe Beam loves us...I believe...I believe...I believe...I believe...I believe...I believe...I believe...I believe...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I just ordered a case of 114 from my whiskey monger...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...I now make better sleepy-by tonight...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Is it, though? I'm seeing OGD 114 in stores where it's never been before. I wonder if they're focusing more attention on that label, and seeing increased sales. The BiB is, I believe, the best-selling BiB around, so I hope that sticks around because I'm fond of it, too.
    Basil Hayden is selling very well, although I can't figure out why. There may be pressure on OGD from that direction. But with the recent dropping of the age statement from BH, now there really is no difference between OGD and BH on paper. The big money grab is Basil Hayden.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Perhaps Beam is planning to launch an Old Grand Dad Family in the way they are developing Knob Creek. A rye with the ND yeast would be nice.

Connoisseur

Dang, and this was my favorite 86 proof whiskey. I'm more upset about this than that Maker's Mark crap.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

I've never seen an 80 proof one. The 80, BiB and 114 are the only grand dads in the current MI price book.
    Are you sure?
    It seems to me it's always been 80, 100 & 114 proof.
    ovh

Guru

It's today's bunkerable bourbon!

Guru

Basil Hayden is selling very well, although I can't figure out why. There may be pressure on OGD from that direction. But with the recent dropping of the age statement from BH, now there really is no difference between OGD and BH on paper. The big money grab is Basil Hayden.
    During the recent MM kerfluffle, the Washington Post mentioned that BH sales increased 35% in 2012. Sure that's from a relatively small base but a huge jump even considering bourbon sales overall increased 15%.

That kind of increase and the dropping of the BH AS may indicate a shortage of OGD distillate.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

I whined on Twitter and got an offer from @jimbeamofficial to chat about OGD. I will report back.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog