Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Guru

Re: OGD proof change?

Well, at least they keep it at 114, that's something.

Connoisseur

According to their website the 114 is Barrel Strength.

http://www.beamglobal.com/brands/old-grand-dad

Guru

114 proof can be called barrel strength as a descriptive term without actually specifying the Old Grand brand comes out of the barrel at 114. It couldn't, really because barrels don't come out at exact proofs, that and Beam typically puts it's whisky in the barrel at 125 proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't think the Old Grand-Dad brand is in any jeapordy but if they did discontinue something, it would probably be the 80 proof no one here likes anyway. I was in Binny's yesterday and they had the 86 still on the shelf. I almost bought it until I realized I'd still rather have the bond. So I bought a bottle of Larceny.

Of course their current plan could change. That's always true in pretty much all things and is certainly not unique to big whiskey producers.

So stocking up in fear of the brand or any of its expressions going away doesn't make much sense, but stocking up to take the sting out of inevitable future price cuts probably does.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    According to their website the 114 is Barrel Strength.

http://www.beamglobal.com/brands/old-grand-dad
    That's interesting but the label is more regulated, so I would trust what it says or doesn't say over whatever might be on a website.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Angry Re: OGD proof change?

As the 86 proof OGD has been my go-to everyday pour for the past few years, I guess I need to stock up while it is still on the shelves (if there is still any left). Then, I guess I will need to find a new everyday pour.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

To say that a whisky over 105 proof is barrel strength is historically accurate because distillers in the past used lower distilling and barrel entry proofs. However that term can be a category rather than a specific reference. Beam now uses 125 as the Barrel entry proof (I would really like to be wrong about Grand Dad being lower but don't think I am) and since whisky aging in the warm climate of Kentucky typically gains in strength the dumping proof is going to be more than 125, not less.

Connoisseur

My dusty ND OGD 114 bottles read "114 Barrel Proof" on the neck label. Interesting that Beam would promote barrel proof on their website, but choose to not include it on the label. Somewhat of an inconsistent message there. Personally, whether it is barrel proof or not doesn't really matter much to me. I enjoy it just fine the way it is.

Come to think of it... Given all that is going on with premium bourbons these days, perhaps we're fortunate that Beam is NOT putting forth the effort to promote this as a premium barrel proof product. My guess is that a return of the barrel proof label would result in a significant price increase. I've never had the feeling that Beam really cared much about the OGD brand to begin with. Do they even promote the brand anymore? Heck... They won't even spen a few dollars to give OGD its own website.

Guru

I believe it's a mature brand with a following so Beam doesn't have to do much more than keep cranking it out.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I agree that Beam has used the term 'barrel proof' in reference to OGD114. The line extension was actually created by National and it used the term too. It is, however, highly unlikely that the product was ever actually barrel proof. For one thing, true barrel proof is always variable and either has to be expressed as a range, as Booker's does, or handwritten as Heaven Hill intends to do with the special edition of Elijah Craig 12. Although 'barrel proof' isn't a term the TTB specifically regulates, they might be subject to a challenge if it appeared on the label and isn't true. It's well established that you can get away with more in non-label media.