Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: OGD proof change?

Hm. Not all stores in MA carry OGD products (Jim Beam and Makers Mark are the Kentucky bourbons that seem to be universally stocked). Many stores that do have OGD only have the 86 proof (and soon the 80 instead), but don't carry the BiB. Even fewer carry the 114.

Guru

That's odd when you think about it because JB, MM and OGD are all handled by the local Beam distributors.

Just as well I guess, I'd hate to think what would happen if the Yankees really discovered OGD and Barton.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Just as well I guess, I'd hate to think what would happen if the Yankees really discovered OGD and Barton.
    I suppose something like this?

photo.JPG
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 03-13-2013 at 18:31.

Connoisseur

In my area, I've only seen the 86proof. I guess I better crack a bottle and see if I like it more than the cheaper EWB (<$10) or the comparable WT101 ($15 vs. $17). I'm doubtful.

Guru

Don't be giving me nightmares Jeffery.

Novice

Hi,
    Noob here. My Dad just brought me a couple of handles of OGD from Phoenix to save me a few bucks, and I noticed that Beam Global had indeed lowered the proof. For what it's worth, I sent them this letter:

I just noticed that Beam Global has reduced the proof of Old Grand-Dad from 86 to 80. I had heard rumors on the forums of this decision, but I could not believe you would be so short-sighted as to de-content such a storied brand. I would like to complain in no uncertain terms about this. I have recently become an avid bourbon drinker, and after trying many, many offerings, OGD has become my hands-down favorite, even among higher-priced whiskeys. I believe that altering this fine product in any way is a disservice to loyal drinkers everywhere. It might add a dime or two to your bottom line, but in the long run, the brand equity of OGD suffers. I realize that I am in the minority here. Most folks would either a) not notice, b) not take the time to write in or c) not give a damn. I am none of those folks. PLEASE reconsider this decision to "water down" my favorite bourbon and restore Old Grand-Dad to its former glory. It's not just a product or a shelf facing or a number in a spreadsheet cell to us consumers. Fans. Drinkers. Loyal customers.

CB

P.S. I am drinking my last pour of OGD 86 with dinner.

Advanced Taster

ChuckBiscuits, have you had the 100 and 114 proof OGD? Personally, I am grateful they messed with the 86 rather than the others (and have heard they claim to have diluted it in part to preserve the BIB and 114).

Novice

No, I have not. They are on my short list, for sure. I have found, much to the relief of my wallet, that I actually prefer middle-of-the-road bourbons to the high dollar ones, OGD being the proof in the pudding. I recently tried Four Roses single barrel and Eagle Rare 10-year, and I prefer Old Grand-Dad or Dickel #12 to both. Not that I won't keep trying every kind of bourbon I can get my hands on...

Guru

CB I've tried every kind of Bourbon they make and I prefer Old Grand Dad, Barton and Dickel 12.
    Last edited by squire; 05-13-2013 at 20:50.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBiscuits View Post
    Hi,
    Noob here. My Dad just brought me a couple of handles of OGD from Phoenix to save me a few bucks, and I noticed that Beam Global had indeed lowered the proof. For what it's worth, I sent them this letter:
    Yep. They hit the shelf here a few months ago. Took a picture with my phone but I've been too lazy to upload it.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog