Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decantur + Thomas H. Handy

For giggles, I decided to pour my 3/4 full bottle of Thomas H. Handy in my decantur, with the hope that the air time would make it more palatable. Not that THH isn't enjoyable on its own, but it's never been one of my favorites per se. So it's been sitting in my decantur for probably 2 months now, and last night I decided to take a pour. Holy hell, this stuff is amazing, particularly with a splash or two of water. I can easily say it fell in my top 10 category. The nose was full of caramel and spice and the mouthfeel was an explosion of more caramel, vanilla, cinammon, and toffee, with a viscous finish that lasts for days.

I also noticed there is now a brown film sort of floating in the remaining whiskey in the decantur. I noticed this previously as I was nearing the end of a bottle of WLW that tasted about as good as this. I wonder if there's something to that brown film that has an effect on the viscosity, because normally, I haven't noticed either whiskeys being quite so viscous.

Guru

Decantur + Thomas H. Handy

Does your decanter have a larger volume than 750ml? Perhaps the viscosity is due in part to the proof?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Re: Decantur + Thomas H. Handy

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Does your decanter have a larger volume than 750ml? Perhaps the viscosity is due in part to the proof?
    Yeah, it's much bigger than a typical 750ml bottle (double maybe?). Viscosity may be due to the proof, but I've notice increased viscosity as bottles get down to the last 1/8 of the bottle.

Disciple

Wow - I've never used a decanter so not sure about the floating film - but if it tastes better to you, I'd say that is the most important aspect!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Would it be possible to post a picture?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Wow - I've never used a decanter so not sure about the floating film - but if it tastes better to you, I'd say that is the most important aspect!
    The only time I use a decanter is when I put some VOB in a Blanton's bottle for the benefit of friends who don't drink bottom shelf booze. That "Blanton's" is damn good stuff!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Taster

Im doing this soon. Great excuse to buy a bottle of blantons and a bottle of Barton, both of which I love.

Connoisseur

I'm curious, what's the difference between leaving the whiskey in it's current bottle with air, than putting it in a decanter?

Also, the "brown" layer you refer to is probably char and sedimentary fat/oil. If you have any WLW, GTS, or Willett Family Reserve, you'll see that char layer at the bottom. I suspect that because these whiskeys are not chillfiltered, they may begin to create "layers" as it sits in the bottle undisturbed.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=Bmac;348479]I'm curious, what's the difference between leaving the whiskey in it's current bottle with air, than putting it in a decanter?

One difference is that the original bottle may seal better than a decanter with a glass top. If you are the type who is concerned about your whiskey going bad, a decanter is probably not a good idea.
    In old movies, every gentleman poured his booze from a crystal decanter. It looked elegant and probably didn't do any harm if consumed in a timely manner (whatever that means). Decanter sets were labeled "Bourbon," "Scotch," "Gin," etc. so the contents were pretty generic. Those handsome crystal decanters, it seems to me, were for people who really didn't care what they were drinking. SBers are not likely to be satisfied knowing that we are drinking "bourbon" rather than "Scotch." The container or label is a huge part of the experience for some of us--including those who think we are not influenced by such superficialities. Current WalMart TV ads show people being blown away by the strawberries that they thought were from some exotic, gourmet source. We all buy the sizzle rather than the steak.(Forgive the mixed metaphors.) The Big Three for me are AAA, OWA, and VOB because they tip the scale toward steak rather than sizzle. Even so, I still buy the sizzle when I see it on sale. Can't help myself. Stop me before I barrel strength again!
    What was that question again?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Well, I am curious because I do have a decanter, that has WT101 in it. I also have a bottle of THH that I am just not happy with. So, if decanting it, letting it breathe is going to improve this whiskey I am willing to give it a go.

Also, haven't been too happy with the Willett Family Reserves I got either (6 and 7 yr)
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"