Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Lifted from an online sellers spiel on the WT8 export. The bold highlight is mine...

Damn tricksy them Russell boys. Had me hoodwinked for years! WT8 export is a wheater!

I was gutted when the WT8 export became unavailable here in Oz. It is apparently not available via duty free channels here now either. Echoing another poster the 8 year has a sweetness that holds it's own against the typical Turkey spice and actually comes out on top with notes of brown sugar and caramel. The thing I miss the most about this bottling is a butteryness that you get through the mouthfeel. It's a whiskey you can chew on.

I've seen it posted here many times that the US market 8YO of yesteryear leaves the export in its dust. That Turkey once produced such a quality in their mass market flagship is both astounding and saddening in how far they have fallen with the 101 NAS.
    Don't know about the wheater bit but I've got a dusty 8 sitting in the cabinet that I picked up at an estate sale for $4 a few years back. May have to crack that baby this afternoon, since I just won two meatball and Italian beef sandwiches in red sauce for lunch. Could be my lucky day!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'd like to know if they email you back.
    I actually did get a response. A generic one...

"Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate the fact you took the time to send us your comments. We value your opinions and take all such views seriously. We have forwarded your e-mail to the appropriate department for review."

Virtuoso

I wonder if Jodi still works there.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Lifted from an online sellers spiel on the WT8 export. The bold highlight is mine...

Damn tricksy them Russell boys. Had me hoodwinked for years! WT8 export is a wheater!

I was gutted when the WT8 export became unavailable here in Oz. It is apparently not available via duty free channels here now either. Echoing another poster the 8 year has a sweetness that holds it's own against the typical Turkey spice and actually comes out on top with notes of brown sugar and caramel. The thing I miss the most about this bottling is a butteryness that you get through the mouthfeel. It's a whiskey you can chew on.

I've seen it posted here many times that the US market 8YO of yesteryear leaves the export in its dust. That Turkey once produced such a quality in their mass market flagship is both astounding and saddening in how far they have fallen with the 101 NAS.

WT doesn't make a wheater I'm sure you're kidding Morgan but you're going to confuse the hell out of new members.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Found a cache of 6 WT8 Exports for $27/litre (no, I'm not British but apparently the bottle is) in a small neighborhood store. Was in kind of a rush so I didn't have time to examine the bottle but I did snap a few pics. My bourbon funds are a little low due to a couple successful dusty hunts. So, I ask this question: Is it worth cleaning this store out? If it doesn't suit my fancy would others be interested in these bottles (trade bait, etc.)?
    photo 1-2.jpgphoto 2-2.jpg
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

Connoisseur

I'd buy a bottle and see if I liked it before I bought multiples.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    Found a cache of 6 WT8 Exports for $27/litre ...
    So, I ask this question: Is it worth cleaning this store out?
    If you like WT, it's a no-brainer.

If it doesn't suit my fancy would others be interested in these bottles (trade bait, etc.)?
    If you don't like WT, this is also a no-brainer! I'm sure someone would take 'em off your hands.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

You found them in FL? That's funny. I love the stuff so I'd buy a few, maybe not all. But I agree with Trey, better try one first.

Connoisseur

Found a cache of 6 WT8 Exports for $27/litre (no, I'm not British but apparently the bottle is) in a small neighborhood store. Was in kind of a rush so I didn't have time to examine the bottle but I did snap a few pics. My bourbon funds are a little low due to a couple successful dusty hunts. So, I ask this question: Is it worth cleaning this store out? If it doesn't suit my fancy would others be interested in these bottles (trade bait, etc.)?
    photo 1-2.jpgphoto 2-2.jpg

Buy 'em all. 'Nuff said.
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

Follow Trey's advice... Buy a bottle and go to your car. Crack open the bottle, take a swig & if you like it, walk right back in and clear 'em out

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof