Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guru

Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

Yeah, but Trey lives in New Orleans where swigging a bottle in the parking lot as part of a purchase decision is normal.

Connoisseur

At my favorite store I usually crack new-to-me bottles before checking out. The owner likes this because I usually share with him and he gets to keep his transaction fees down if I decide on the spot to buy multiples.

Guru

Like I said, normal.

Advanced Taster

Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

Sadly, when I went back to the shop. The bottles weren't there. Confused, I asked the owner where they we were. He pretended not to speak English. I say pretended because the first time I was in, he spoke to me in fairly clear English. Instead, another man (whom I also recognized from the first time) acted as the go between. He said that they didn't have the bottle I was looking for nor had they ever. I went on to say that I was there two days prior and that they had it then. I don't speak much Spanish but I could make out the owner said something along the lines of "this was the guy that took the pictures." The translator said, "sorry, man, maybe you're thinking of a different place." I relayed that I was a Bourbon Enthusiast and that the bottles that "I thought they had" were good, highly prized bottles. Then, because my It's-Time-To-Back-Off-Rick Alarm was sounding, I said that I must've been mistaken and took my leave.

Oh well, was looking forward to trying some 8YO WT but better safe than sorry.
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    Sadly, when I went back to the shop. The bottles weren't there. Confused, I asked the owner where they we were. He pretended not to speak English. I say pretended because the first time I was in, he spoke to me in fairly clear English. Instead, another man (whom I also recognized from the first time) acted as the go between. He said that they didn't have the bottle I was looking for nor had they ever. I went on to say that I was there two days prior and that they had it then. I don't speak much Spanish but I could make out the owner said something along the lines of "this was the guy that took the pictures." The translator said, "sorry, man, maybe you're thinking of a different place." I relayed that I was a Bourbon Enthusiast and that the bottles that "I thought they had" were good, highly prized bottles. Then, because my It's-Time-To-Back-Off-Rick Alarm was sounding, I said that I must've been mistaken and took my leave.

Oh well, was looking forward to trying some 8YO WT but better safe than sorry.
    We must never forget that the most prized wild turkeys have very keen senses and will flee at the slightest sign of danger.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    We must never forget that the most prized wild turkeys have very keen senses and will flee at the slightest sign of danger.

When you start taking pictures that can raise eyebrows and prices. If I'm at a new store I try to stay low key until I get a feel for the place. Sorry about the loss, but there will be more.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

People who act spooked have something to hide and are best left alone. They probably thought your were an undercover investigator.

Advanced Taster

Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

Yeah, I'll learn from my mistake. As I become more and more familiar with what's out there I'll have less of a need for pics. At least, I took this lump on a bourbon that's currently produced (albeit tough to get).

To make the owner more mobster-ish/intimidating: when I was in there last he was in the back of the shop butchering some meat.
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

Guru

To make the owner more mobster-ish/intimidating: when I was in there last he was in the back of the shop butchering some meat.
    One way to deal with troublesome customers.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Yeah, I'll learn from my mistake. As I become more and more familiar with what's out there I'll have less of a need for pics. At least, I took this lump on a bourbon that's currently produced (albeit tough to get).

If you wake up with a horse head in your bed, you might have a problem...and, we don't know you...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama