Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,736

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Yeah, but Trey lives in New Orleans where swigging a bottle in the parking lot as part of a purchase decision is normal.

  2. #32
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    887

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    At my favorite store I usually crack new-to-me bottles before checking out. The owner likes this because I usually share with him and he gets to keep his transaction fees down if I decide on the spot to buy multiples.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,736

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Like I said, normal.

  4. #34
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    101

    Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Sadly, when I went back to the shop. The bottles weren't there. Confused, I asked the owner where they we were. He pretended not to speak English. I say pretended because the first time I was in, he spoke to me in fairly clear English. Instead, another man (whom I also recognized from the first time) acted as the go between. He said that they didn't have the bottle I was looking for nor had they ever. I went on to say that I was there two days prior and that they had it then. I don't speak much Spanish but I could make out the owner said something along the lines of "this was the guy that took the pictures." The translator said, "sorry, man, maybe you're thinking of a different place." I relayed that I was a Bourbon Enthusiast and that the bottles that "I thought they had" were good, highly prized bottles. Then, because my It's-Time-To-Back-Off-Rick Alarm was sounding, I said that I must've been mistaken and took my leave.

    Oh well, was looking forward to trying some 8YO WT but better safe than sorry.
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

  5. #35
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    156

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    Sadly, when I went back to the shop. The bottles weren't there. Confused, I asked the owner where they we were. He pretended not to speak English. I say pretended because the first time I was in, he spoke to me in fairly clear English. Instead, another man (whom I also recognized from the first time) acted as the go between. He said that they didn't have the bottle I was looking for nor had they ever. I went on to say that I was there two days prior and that they had it then. I don't speak much Spanish but I could make out the owner said something along the lines of "this was the guy that took the pictures." The translator said, "sorry, man, maybe you're thinking of a different place." I relayed that I was a Bourbon Enthusiast and that the bottles that "I thought they had" were good, highly prized bottles. Then, because my It's-Time-To-Back-Off-Rick Alarm was sounding, I said that I must've been mistaken and took my leave.

    Oh well, was looking forward to trying some 8YO WT but better safe than sorry.
    We must never forget that the most prized wild turkeys have very keen senses and will flee at the slightest sign of danger.

  6. #36
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,474

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    We must never forget that the most prized wild turkeys have very keen senses and will flee at the slightest sign of danger.



    When you start taking pictures that can raise eyebrows and prices. If I'm at a new store I try to stay low key until I get a feel for the place. Sorry about the loss, but there will be more.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,736

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    People who act spooked have something to hide and are best left alone. They probably thought your were an undercover investigator.

  8. #38
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    101

    Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Yeah, I'll learn from my mistake. As I become more and more familiar with what's out there I'll have less of a need for pics. At least, I took this lump on a bourbon that's currently produced (albeit tough to get).

    To make the owner more mobster-ish/intimidating: when I was in there last he was in the back of the shop butchering some meat.
    Ted: "I have to eat something."
    Don: "Doesn't ice count?"

  9. #39
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,736

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    To make the owner more mobster-ish/intimidating: when I was in there last he was in the back of the shop butchering some meat.
    One way to deal with troublesome customers.

  10. #40
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Let's talk Turkey: Exports vs NA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    Yeah, I'll learn from my mistake. As I become more and more familiar with what's out there I'll have less of a need for pics. At least, I took this lump on a bourbon that's currently produced (albeit tough to get).

    To make the owner more mobster-ish/intimidating: when I was in there last he was in the back of the shop butchering some meat.
    If you wake up with a horse head in your bed, you might have a problem...and, we don't know you...
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Let's Talk About Gin
    By RoyalWater in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 11:22
  2. Let's talk Scotch
    By Megawatt in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 09:39
  3. Mexico seeks to ban bulk exports of Tequila...
    By boone in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 23:42
  4. Let's Talk About Vodka
    By cowdery in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 19:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top