Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello SB Forum

Taster

Hello SB Forum

Hi all. Iím from Chicago but living in Durham, NC.

I was never much of a drinker, even though my friends basically made a profession out of beer guzzling, until one fateful night I was served bourbon neat. Since then I've been drinking non-stop and trying to refine my palate and understand the spirit. These forums have been a go-to source for me for information and flavor discussion going on about 6 months now, and so I thought it was time to join officially.

Also, if anyone is interested I record tasting notes for the American whiskey I try and have been posting them online for about a year now: Danger Finds Bourbon

Thanks

Enthusiast

Re: Hello SB Forum

Welcome, Danger. That's quite a web page. Are many of those bourbons available in NC, or did these notes precede your move from Chicago?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Welcome, Danger. That's quite a web page. Are many of those bourbons available in NC, or did these notes precede your move from Chicago?
    Thanks, happy to be here. I’d say 2/3 of those are from when I was back in Chicago. Many from Delilah's (which I’ve seen referenced on this site), Blokes & Birds or straight from Binny’s. There are basically 20 bourbons you can buy by the bottle in NC from the state-run ABC stores. You need to get creative with the rest, i.e., friends passing through the state, getting things through the mail, or the few good whiskey bars. The spirit laws (and the public transportation) would be my only two complaints about living in Durham.

Guru

Hey Danger, welcome aboard.

Connoisseur

Welcome, Danger! Look forward to seeing you around.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Looking at your website, Bulliet Rye is LDI (or MGP) not 4 Roses. Rowan's Creek is NAS, unless you had a very old bottling - ditto on Noah's Mill as well. The Balcones Single malt is a whiskey, but it's not bourbon. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a straight product, which means it's at least 4 years old (since it has no age statement).

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hey Danger, welcome aboard.
    Glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Looking at your website, Bulliet Rye is LDI (or MGP) not 4 Roses. Rowan's Creek is NAS, unless you had a very old bottling - ditto on Noah's Mill as well. The Balcones Single malt is a whiskey, but it's not bourbon. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a straight product, which means it's at least 4 years old (since it has no age statement).
    This is great info, thanks. Let me share my confusion.
    Bulliet - I always thought that 4R produced this, so I just made an assumption on the rye. Am I wrong on both counts?
    Rowan's & Noah's Mill - I plead ignorance, NAS=no age statement?
    Balcones - There are a few non-bourbons up there, but as long as its bottled or distilled in the US I roll with it. I skip (well, I drink it but just don't post) things like glenlivet.
    Bernheim - updated

Thanks so much for the help.

Guru

Bulliet is a Diageo brand produced under contract with Four Roses. Diageo can of course obtain whisky made to specification from other sources but the flavor profile will remain the same. Bulliet Rye is purchased from MGPI (formerly LDI) at the present time.

Rowans Creek and Noah's Mill are bottled by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (KBD) using whisky they buy from other sources, Heaven Hill in the past but KBD does not disclose where they get the whisky for any of their brands.
    Last edited by squire; 03-16-2013 at 06:07.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Rowan's & Noah's Mill - I plead ignorance, NAS=no age statement?
    Yes, NAS means No Age Statement. Somewhere on here is a post with all the acronyms that we use. Both of these use to have age statements, but they where removed several years ago. When a producer removes an age statement, you can bet younger whiskey is now going into those brands.

Welcome aboard. Your website is interesting. I suggest analysing less and drinking more

Disciple

May I also suggest Danger that your blog, which I agree with Wade is interesting, include more info about who you are. You did it here on SB, so I paid attention to you as a newcomer. But with the rapid evolution of whiskey blogs (I'll leave it to you scientists to precisely measure their exponential growth ), the more I know of the writer the less I may dismiss it as another vanity project.

Oh, I think your palate isn't quite calibrated correctly with Heaven Hill products either .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011