Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decide

Advanced Taster

Re: Decide

Grab the Weller. They are both great, but this way you'll know if you like wheaters. Plus, let that bottle get some air time too. A few of us like to pour half of a new bottle into an empty one, and then let them "soften up" for a few weeks.

I partially have to agree with those members who have suggested getting both. But given my preference for wheaters, (Wellers in particular ) if I was forced to make a choice, I'd side with Steve on this one and get the Weller.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

A year ago I would have said Weller without any hesitation. But lately I think my taste in bourbon has started to change and I would say go for the OGD114. Not that the Weller is bad by any means. They're both great bourbons at great prices!

Guru

I like to point out to my Scotch drinking friends that some of our barrel proof Bourbons are roughly equivalent in strength to two of their overpriced single malts.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    Grab the Weller. They are both great, but this way you'll know if you like wheaters. Plus, let that bottle get some air time too. A few of us like to pour half of a new bottle into an empty one, and then let them "soften up" for a few weeks.
    Good point and will really help clarify your suited profile and help narrow down future purchases.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I like to point out to my Scotch drinking friends that some of our barrel proof Bourbons are roughly equivalent in strength to two of their overpriced single malts.
    Great point! I always try to come across as humble with the back-handed compliment that "I'm apparently just too damn lazy to have to work hard to find the flavor in my whiskey, and prefer something that is just more upfront." They smile . . . and then start to give me a skeptical look
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

There are some people who live in the world of labels. If scotch costs less than Bourbon they would be singing a different tune.

Advanced Taster

I recently went through the same choice, had both in hand at the store but didn't want to pay for two at the time. Went with the OGD and enjoy it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    Grab the Weller. They are both great, but this way you'll know if you like wheaters.
    I agree with that.

Enthusiast

Not sure if it is available in your area, but another very good but inexpensive wheater is David Nicholson 1843. Usually found here in the St. Louis area for 12-14 bucks, and it's 100 proof. To my palette, every bit as good as the Wellers for less $$.