Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendatons

Taster

Recommendatons

I have a friend that I am help building a scotch collection. I'm currently looking to recommend a Highland and slay in the $40.00 range. My personal favorites would be a Glenmorangie 10 year and a Lagavulin 10 year. What are your thoughts?

Enthusiast

Re: Recommendatons

He can have just about 2 bottles of the Tomatin 12 with that budget.

Virtuoso

One of my favorite Scotches in the $40 range is Ardmore Traditional Cask. It is a real gem at that price.

Guru

Start him with the McClelland line, where he can get both a Highland and a Speyside for about that price.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    One of my favorite Scotches in the $40 range is Ardmore Traditional Cask. It is a real gem at that price.
    Pretty good recommendation with the Ardmore and actually I find it under $30 all the time,tough to beat at those prices.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Pretty good recommendation with the Ardmore and actually I find it under $30 all the time,tough to beat at those prices.
    I'd buy multiple bottles at those prices. I've never seen it for under $40 in my area.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by onewman View Post
    I have a friend that I am help building a scotch collection. I'm currently looking to recommend a Highland and slay in the $40.00 range. My personal favorites would be a Glenmorangie 10 year and a Lagavulin 10 year. What are your thoughts?
    There's no Lagavulin 10, but both the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 are essential.

Bruichladdich Laddie Ten is a great Islay option that in some ways drinks more like a Highland.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Man, you're gonna want to cry when I tell you that there's one place around here that has been selling ATC for $20!! I bought so much of the stuff that I'm burning out on it just from consuming a case or more in the last six months. But it really is a fine whiskey.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    There's no Lagavulin 10, but both the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 are essential.
    Unfortunately for us, the Ardbeg 10 is now consistently in the $55-$65 range around here after many years in the low $40's. But who can argue with Laphroaig 10 for $40?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by onewman View Post
    If you're looking to buy one bottle at a time and want a true Highland malt (as opposed to a Speyside), you can't go wrong with Clynelish 14 or Old Pulteney 12. If you enjoy Glenmorangie 10, you should really like these two, though the Clynelish is generally mid-$40's or so. I know of a place around here that sells the OP12 for $25 which is a ridiculously good price.