Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Ughhhh....... Another Hoosier?!

Haha! Yeah, I saw some of the other previous posts. My name is Rex and I am from the Northern part of Indiana. The closest large town to me is Fort Wayne. I am a little new to the bourbon scene but have been spoiled already.

My favorite bourbon is Pappy Van Winkle and Rock Hill. Although the local store has stated price gouging the 12 year after I called one day to put a hold on a case for a group buy. Which really sucks because nobody around here knows how fantastic it is and I am literally the only one who has bought it in 5 years it has been on the shelf.

I am hoping to find some more favorites and recommendations from you guys though. I plan on expanding my palate. I am also a huge cigar smoker and often pair the two which can sometimes work great or actually have the opposite effect.
    I will hopefully be seeing more of you guys in the future and I will look forward to making some new friends.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Guru

Re: Ughhhh....... Another Hoosier?!

Welcome aboard Hoshneer, a separate post about matching Bourbon and cigars should get some informed answers.

Connoisseur

Welcome Hoshneer! Always good to have more Hoosiers onboard!

Take some time to browse around the site. Lots of great info here.

If you're a fan of Pappy, have you tried Old Weller Antique yet? It's the same proof as some of your Pappy's and a wheated mashbill as well. And at a fraction of the cost of Pappy (plus the added advantage of a lack of ridiculous hype) it's worth giving a shot. Around $22 for a 750ml in Indy. Let us know what you think.

Keep an eye out for the Indy gatherings. We are an active group.

Cheers!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

Welcome to the board Rex,

What liqure store in Ft Wayne did you say was overstocked on Pappy............................................. ..?
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    Welcome to the board Rex,

What liqure store in Ft Wayne did you say was overstocked on Pappy............................................. ..?
    Lol! It's not in Fort Wayne! Stay away, it's my birthday stash!!! Haha! The same bottles have been there since 2008 and although it is overpriced it is something I still buy on special occasions. All they have left is the 12 year, I have worked down their supply over the years. If you really want to know though I will tell you I just don't want to post it in the open and find every bottle gone next week when I go in for my birthday. I am not sure if I can PM yet though.

Guru

This place is being overrun!

Oh well, the drink makes us a largely forgiving lot. Welcome Hoosier and cheers! Go CATS!

Disciple

Welcome aboard. I'd love a PM about a store near the Fort, anything else there worth discovering?

Virtuoso

Ughhhh.....Welcome from another Hoosier?!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

You'll find this place makes easy conversation & fast loosening of your purse strings when it comes to whisky. Welcome!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Thanks, guys. PM's sent. As far as anything else worth discovering I am still new so I don't know what I'm getting into yet. If any of you guys live in the Fort I come in every weekend to visit Riegel's Cigar shop. I can pick you up a bottle of Pappy if you'd like.