Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

I was following some proposed changes in this years legislation in our state concerning distillers and making the state more craft beer friendly. Texas laws can be found here - http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/code_and_rules.asp

In doing so, I read through our existing laws and and found a few things of interest:

-unless you are in a downtown "central business district" that has passed rules preventing it or on public school ground, openly consuming alcohol in public in allowed. Only these business districts areas that have clear boundaries can prohibit drinking in public. We have a very popular river tubing area that the local city council tried to ban alcohol on the river. They were stopped by the state. They then changed the law to ban disposable containers; so now you can float with a keg but not a can.

-Texas is a three tier state. As with other 3 tiers systems, the manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer are prohibited from any overlapping ownership - with one exception - that if the business existed and were permitted prior to 8/24/1935. In Texas, Glazer's, a wholesaler, has been in business prior to this and I think this exception was written for them.

-No package store (retailer) may be owned by a corporation, unless that store was owned by such prior to 4/28/1995.

-Also, no individual may own more than 5 stores unless they held these prior to 5/01/1949.

-a bar/restaurant may not substitute one brand of alcoholic beverage requested by the customer for another without prior authorization.

-rebates and/or coupons offered by manufacturers are prohibited

-as of 9/2011, personal importation of spirits and beer collection for those moving into the state is allowed. Wine was already allowed.

Virtuoso

Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

I wouldn't even know where to begin with Kentucky's laws...

Guru

Neither would Kentucky.

At least they have been moving towards making some positive changes recently.

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

PA's are pretty simple., If you want a good bottle, travel to another state or order it online from the only vendor allowed to ship to the state (which is the state itself)

Connoisseur

WTF are laws?

padpadpad

Enthusiast

The weirdest one I was aware of in Texas is that parents or legal guardians could bring underage children into bars and they were allowed to drink, if the parents gave permission.

I thought my leg was being pulled on this, but I talked to an attorney who said it was no joke.

Guru

(In Texas) What about driving with an open container being legal until sometime in the 90's (as long as you weren't "intoxicated") The the legal limit was higher back then too.

In the dry county I lived in (Alabama) you could not have more than 2 750ml or 1 1.75l bottles of spirits or 2 cases of beer at a time in your vehicle or it was considered bootlegging. The alcohol had to be kept in your trunk or behind the seat in a truck or you could be arrested.

Advanced Taster

Wisconsin is also a 3-tier state. I would say the weirdest thing is that age statements are apparently being outlawed here, one by one.

Advanced Taster

[QUOTE=smknjoe;328995](In Texas) What about driving with an open container being legal until sometime in the 90's (as long as you weren't "intoxicated")

In Nashville (at least in the late 90's), it was legal to have an open container wherever, including while driving. Not weird, assuming responsible citizens who resent paternalistic governments, and not the whole state, but unusual.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I was following some proposed changes in this years legislation in our state concerning distillers and making the state more craft beer friendly. Texas laws can be found here - http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/code_and_rules.asp

In doing so, I read through our existing laws and and found a few things of interest:

-unless you are in a downtown "central business district" that has passed rules preventing it or on public school ground, openly consuming alcohol in public in allowed. Only these business districts areas that have clear boundaries can prohibit drinking in public. We have a very popular river tubing area that the local city council tried to ban alcohol on the river. They were stopped by the state. They then changed the law to ban disposable containers; so now you can float with a keg but not a can.

-Texas is a three tier state. As with other 3 tiers systems, the manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer are prohibited from any overlapping ownership - with one exception - that if the business existed and were permitted prior to 8/24/1935. In Texas, Glazer's, a wholesaler, has been in business prior to this and I think this exception was written for them.

-No package store (retailer) may be owned by a corporation, unless that store was owned by such prior to 4/28/1995.

-Also, no individual may own more than 5 stores unless they held these prior to 5/01/1949.

-a bar/restaurant may not substitute one brand of alcoholic beverage requested by the customer for another without prior authorization.

-rebates and/or coupons offered by manufacturers are prohibited

-as of 9/2011, personal importation of spirits and beer collection for those moving into the state is allowed. Wine was already allowed.
    I work in the Texas Legislature. If you have any ideas for politically feasible options to fix some of these problems, let me know. I would be happy to push them. The bill filing deadline had passed this session, though.