Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    (In Texas) What about driving with an open container being legal until sometime in the 90's (as long as you weren't "intoxicated")
    Nothing strange about that law IMHO. Let's see, you can have a couple of drinks and immediately get in car and drive and it's legal. But drink your 1st beer on drive home and you are breaking the law? Just proves MADD does not understand how alcohol effects your system.

At least Missouri did not cave to MADD; still legal to have an open container in car. Also in Missouri there are no laws against public intoxication and it's legal to distill 100 gallons of any liquor for personal use (although federal permit is still required for distilled spirits - kinda like the states that have legalized pot, you are still breaking federal law). Why don't we all move to Missouri?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Nothing strange about that law IMHO. Let's see, you can have a couple of drinks and immediately get in car and drive and it's legal. But drink your 1st beer on drive home and you are breaking the law? Just proves MADD does not understand how alcohol effects your system.

At least Missouri did not cave to MADD; still legal to have an open container in car. Also in Missouri there are no laws against public intoxication and it's legal to distill 100 gallons of any liquor for personal use (although federal permit is still required for distilled spirits - kinda like the states that have legalized pot, you are still breaking federal law). Why don't we all move to Missouri?
    But then Missouri has some of the strictest marijuana laws in the nation. I know because I just spent a small fortune clearing the name of someone. Columbia passed a law requiring all minor possession charges be tried in municipal court so that Mizzou students don't loose financial aid, so the sheriff(?) sets up check points right outside the city lines so he can get it in state courts and higher fines and NO way to expunge. But Missouri does have some good micro-distilleries.

But then in SC you can basically sell alcohol above 15% or below 20% but not both. For some reason we cannot sell beer and liquor in the same store. And it wasn't too long ago that we still had mini-bottles only in restaurants and bars but mini-bottles could not be sold in stores. And we finally allowed beer above 5.5%. Firefly first distilled out of state until the laws were changed that allowed distilling.
    Last edited by Enoch; 03-13-2013 at 07:44.

Advanced Taster

I used to think Oklahoma's laws were the worst, until i started travelling for a living and realized that several states have, what I consider to be, jacked-up liquor laws.
    In Oklahoma:
    -Liquors stored have to close by 9pm, and they are not open on Sundays or election days.
    -Liquor stores can NOT sell ANYTHING that doesn't have alcohol in it; like bottle openers, wine glasses, stoppers, etc... The law, from what I've been told by store owners, says that liquor stores can only sell "intoxicating beverages". And, according to Oklahoma law, 3.2 beer is NOT considered an intoxicating beverage. That's why OK liquor stores do not sell Bud, Coors, etc...
    -Liquor stores can NOT have refrigeration units. No cold beer.
    -No wine or high-gravity beer can be sold in grocery stores.
    -Oklahoma is also a 3-tier setup. One of the funny quirks about that is Choc Beer in Krebs, OK is owned by the same people that own Pete's Place, an Italian restaurant next door. They cannot sell beer to themselves. Choc has to sell it to a Wholesaler, who sells it to a distributer, who then sells it to Pete's Place...
    -From what I can gather, Brew Pubs in Oklahoma can ONLY make 3.2 beer for sale in their own establishments. This is why BJ's Brewhouse has their beer, in Oklahoma, made by St. Arnold's in Houston, so they can have higher-gravity beers and get around the rule.

But to me, the weirdest rule I've came across was in upstate NY. I went into a liquor store by my hotel to get some beer, only to be told that they aren't allowed to sell beer in a lquor store?!? I had to go to a BEER Store, where the gentlemen filled up a half gallon growler, screwed a lid on it, and handed it to me. Now in OK, that would be Open Container?
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    But to me, the weirdest rule I've came across was in upstate NY. I went into a liquor store by my hotel to get some beer, only to be told that they aren't allowed to sell beer in a lquor store?!? I had to go to a BEER Store, where the gentlemen filled up a half gallon growler, screwed a lid on it, and handed it to me. Now in OK, that would be Open Container?
    In SC, they have to wrap electricians tape all over the top of the growler so that it won't be an "open container".

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    For some reason we cannot sell beer and liquor in the same store.
    I always get a kick out of shopping at Green's in Columbia because of the way they've worked around this law. They apparently are able to sell both beer and liquor in the same 'store' by putting up a floor to ceiling chain link wall. You have to check out and exit on one side before you enter the other, but for all intents and purposes you are shopping at one store.

Disciple

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

In Utah:
    -Grocery stores can sell no alcohol save for 4% ABV. Everything else is the domain of state liquor stores.

-50ml bottles of liquor are not allowed, nor are kegs of beer.

-Restaurant bartenders may not prepare drinks in the view of customers.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    In Utah:
    -Restaurant bartenders may not prepare drinks in the view of customers.
    That is the dumbest one yet. So that we can be sure that they are watering down their #1 moneymaker, booze, or substituting substandard ingredients? This sounds like a stupid, corrupt, dumbass law. I'd love to hear arguments for this law, cause I can't think of a single one.

Guru

Shadows of Prohibition and eternal damnation. I know people who believe they will go to Hell if they but step into a liquor store. These people vote.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I always get a kick out of shopping at Green's in Columbia because of the way they've worked around this law. They apparently are able to sell both beer and liquor in the same 'store' by putting up a floor to ceiling chain link wall. You have to check out and exit on one side before you enter the other, but for all intents and purposes you are shopping at one store.
    That is sort of the standard practice for getting around the law. One problem they faced is the limit of owning no more than three liquor stores in the state. When Green's opened the superstore on the interstate they already owned three liquor stores so they have another company (Frugal McDougal's) own the liquor store half but still call it Green's and they own and operate the beer/wine half.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Shadows of Prohibition and eternal damnation. I know people who believe they will go to Hell if they but step into a liquor store. These people vote.
    And a lot of them live in SC. My sister-in-law unfriended me on Facebook because I would post stuff about Bourbon and it disturbed her to read it.