Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    That is the dumbest one yet. So that we can be sure that they are watering down their #1 moneymaker, booze, or substituting substandard ingredients? This sounds like a stupid, corrupt, dumbass law. I'd love to hear arguments for this law, cause I can't think of a single one.
    Utah drinks behind the curtain is because the LDS church and Mormons control the Utah State legislature and agenda. They don't drink and don't like others to. They don't want their members to even be tempted be seeing drinks poured.

Disciple

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

That is the dumbest one yet. So that we can be sure that they are watering down their #1 moneymaker, booze, or substituting substandard ingredients? This sounds like a stupid, corrupt, dumbass law. I'd love to hear arguments for this law, cause I can't think of a single one.
    This law is not based on logical arguments but rather on the religious belief of the majority of Utahns.
    Jim

Guru

Get behind me Satan.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This law is not based on logical arguments but rather on the religious belief of the majority of Utahns.
    Totally makes sense. Just goes to show how much religion enters into my thoughts. I don't really have a sense for the culture out there in Utah, just for the natural landscapes and amazing backpacking out there. I'll never forget the chuckle I had when I popped the top on my first Polygamy Porter and read the message on the bottle cap, reminding me, "Why have just one?" Excuse my ignorance in my last post, but as a bartender and drinker I'd really be annoyed by that law.

Guru

Tell 'em you're a bartender and they'll pray for 'ya.

Disciple

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

Totally makes sense. Just goes to show how much religion enters into my thoughts. I don't really have a sense for the culture out there in Utah, just for the natural landscapes and amazing backpacking out there. I'll never forget the chuckle I had when I popped the top on my first Polygamy Porter and read the message on the bottle cap, reminding me, "Why have just one?" Excuse my ignorance in my last post, but as a bartender and drinker I'd really be annoyed by that law.
    Bartenders and drinkers alike are really annoyed by that law. As it happens, an effort was just made to change it, but that effort failed: http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/24384035
    Jim

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    The weirdest one I was aware of in Texas is that parents or legal guardians could bring underage children into bars and they were allowed to drink, if the parents gave permission.

I thought my leg was being pulled on this, but I talked to an attorney who said it was no joke.
    Parents can order drinks for their underage children in Texas.......but it's up to the individual bar owners to decide whether to allow it or not. Many choose not to.

Here's another funny one here. Restaurants can't serve alcohol to you on Sunday untill 12 noon. Unless you also order food at the same time......then they can serve beginning at 11:30 am.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Guru

Now I can see where the change to Daylight Savings Time can be useful.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Now I can see where the change to Daylight Savings Time can be useful.
    Which brings up another memory. When I lived in NC, the bars closed one hour later during EDT, because the law about serving hours specified EST. That's been a long time ago, so it could have changed since I left.

Here's my favorite Iowa rule inmates on parole etc. can not go into establishments that sell alcohol. All hard liquor in Iowa has to be bought by liquor stores etc. from the state. Guess who works in the state liquor warehouse? Inmates.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.