Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72
  1. #21
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,813

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    That is the dumbest one yet. So that we can be sure that they are watering down their #1 moneymaker, booze, or substituting substandard ingredients? This sounds like a stupid, corrupt, dumbass law. I'd love to hear arguments for this law, cause I can't think of a single one.
    Utah drinks behind the curtain is because the LDS church and Mormons control the Utah State legislature and agenda. They don't drink and don't like others to. They don't want their members to even be tempted be seeing drinks poured.

  2. #22
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,782

    Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    That is the dumbest one yet. So that we can be sure that they are watering down their #1 moneymaker, booze, or substituting substandard ingredients? This sounds like a stupid, corrupt, dumbass law. I'd love to hear arguments for this law, cause I can't think of a single one.
    This law is not based on logical arguments but rather on the religious belief of the majority of Utahns.
    Jim

  3. #23
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,833

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Get behind me Satan.

  4. #24
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    680

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This law is not based on logical arguments but rather on the religious belief of the majority of Utahns.
    Totally makes sense. Just goes to show how much religion enters into my thoughts. I don't really have a sense for the culture out there in Utah, just for the natural landscapes and amazing backpacking out there. I'll never forget the chuckle I had when I popped the top on my first Polygamy Porter and read the message on the bottle cap, reminding me, "Why have just one?" Excuse my ignorance in my last post, but as a bartender and drinker I'd really be annoyed by that law.

  5. #25
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,833

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Tell 'em you're a bartender and they'll pray for 'ya.

  6. #26
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,782

    Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Totally makes sense. Just goes to show how much religion enters into my thoughts. I don't really have a sense for the culture out there in Utah, just for the natural landscapes and amazing backpacking out there. I'll never forget the chuckle I had when I popped the top on my first Polygamy Porter and read the message on the bottle cap, reminding me, "Why have just one?" Excuse my ignorance in my last post, but as a bartender and drinker I'd really be annoyed by that law.
    Bartenders and drinkers alike are really annoyed by that law. As it happens, an effort was just made to change it, but that effort failed: http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/24384035
    Jim

  7. #27
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,797

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    The weirdest one I was aware of in Texas is that parents or legal guardians could bring underage children into bars and they were allowed to drink, if the parents gave permission.

    I thought my leg was being pulled on this, but I talked to an attorney who said it was no joke.
    Parents can order drinks for their underage children in Texas.......but it's up to the individual bar owners to decide whether to allow it or not. Many choose not to.

    Here's another funny one here. Restaurants can't serve alcohol to you on Sunday untill 12 noon. Unless you also order food at the same time......then they can serve beginning at 11:30 am.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

  8. #28
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,833

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Now I can see where the change to Daylight Savings Time can be useful.

  9. #29
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    384

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Now I can see where the change to Daylight Savings Time can be useful.
    Which brings up another memory. When I lived in NC, the bars closed one hour later during EDT, because the law about serving hours specified EST. That's been a long time ago, so it could have changed since I left.

  10. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,034

    Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

    Here's my favorite Iowa rule inmates on parole etc. can not go into establishments that sell alcohol. All hard liquor in Iowa has to be bought by liquor stores etc. from the state. Guess who works in the state liquor warehouse? Inmates.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Weird perhaps?
    By BrianBradford in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 18:54
  2. Texas is a no-import state?
    By MarkEdwards in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 23:03
  3. State laws
    By J.W. in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 09:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top