Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    PA's are pretty simple., If you want a good bottle, travel to another state or order it online from the only vendor allowed to ship to the state (which is the state itself)
    The only thing i remember about PA was when i was there about 6 years ago I couldn't find anywhere to buy some beer for my hotel room. I ended up going into a BAR and walking out with a six-pack. Apparently, bars in PA CAN sell TO-GO?
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Trippah and Admin

Bars and beer distributors are your source for take home beer in PA.

Bars can sell 6 packs and distributors deal in case lots.

It is a very profitable law for bar owners.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Get behind me Satan.
    What's the difference between a Baptist and a Methodist?

Methodists make eye contact when they see each other in the liquor store.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Borchard View Post
    I used to think Oklahoma's laws were the worst, until i started travelling for a living and realized that several states have, what I consider to be, jacked-up liquor laws.
    In Oklahoma:
    -Liquor stores can NOT sell ANYTHING that doesn't have alcohol in it; like bottle openers, wine glasses, stoppers, etc... The law, from what I've been told by store owners, says that liquor stores can only sell "intoxicating beverages". And, according to Oklahoma law, 3.2 beer is NOT considered an intoxicating beverage. That's why OK liquor stores do not sell Bud, Coors, etc...
    This statement is not 100% accurate. Beers like Bud, Coors, etc are all over 3.2 in most states. These companies make beer at 3.2 ABV specifically for Oklahoma (and a few other states) so it can be sold in grocery and convenience stores. The reason you don't see the higher ABV versions from the big brewers actually has to do with the way wholesaling/distribution is set up for alcoholic beverages (Remember if it is under 3.2, it is non alcoholic and nto subject to the wholesale/distribution laws for alcoholic beverages).

Oklahoma has an open system system for wholesaling. Companies must sell to every wholesalers in the state for the same price. Anheuser-Busch, Miller, and Coors, require a franchise agreement be in place with all wholesalers/distributors. They aren't going to sell the strong (Over 3.2) stuff in Oklahoma until the current system is done away with and replaced with something like what most other states have: territory/franchise system.

~SW

Disciple

Texas has some weird alcohol laws; how about your state?

Note that "3.2" beer is a measurement of alcohol by weight. This is actually 4% ABV beer. Not a lot less than a typical Bud Light or whatever.
    Jim

Guru

Josh, Methodists speak to each other at the liquor store.

Guru

Paul your story about inmates working in the liquor warehouse but being banned from a store when paroled makes perfect bureaucratic sense.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    The weirdest one I was aware of in Texas is that parents or legal guardians could bring underage children into bars and they were allowed to drink, if the parents gave permission.

I thought my leg was being pulled on this, but I talked to an attorney who said it was no joke.
    Wisconsin has this law, too.

I once had a stopover in Dallas coming home from Mexico with 5 bottles of tequila. Had to clear customs there. The customs officer said they want you to buy your alcohol in Texas and the limit was two bottles. I said I'm just passing through; I was willing to pay the duty; I probably could have just walked through and not been searched. I thought I was gonna lose some tequila that wasn't even available in the USA. Anyway, after the lecture, he let me through; no duty, all my tequila intact. Quite a relief.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    This statement is not 100% accurate. Beers like Bud, Coors, etc are all over 3.2 in most states. These companies make beer at 3.2 ABV specifically for Oklahoma (and a few other states) so it can be sold in grocery and convenience stores. The reason you don't see the higher ABV versions from the big brewers actually has to do with the way wholesaling/distribution is set up for alcoholic beverages (Remember if it is under 3.2, it is non alcoholic and nto subject to the wholesale/distribution laws for alcoholic beverages).

Oklahoma has an open system system for wholesaling. Companies must sell to every wholesalers in the state for the same price. Anheuser-Busch, Miller, and Coors, require a franchise agreement be in place with all wholesalers/distributors. They aren't going to sell the strong (Over 3.2) stuff in Oklahoma until the current system is done away with and replaced with something like what most other states have: territory/franchise system.

~SW
    That helps to clarify it a little more.
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Apprentice

In SC liquor stores have to close at 7pmand no Sunday sales. Also when they do tastings of different spirts in stores no store employee can be involved, it has to be some represenitive from the distributor.