Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Gateway into this madness.

What do you remember as being your gateway whisky into this madness/obsession of ours?

For me it was ET, I always had/ordered ET & water. After having that for awhile I moved to JBW, then went thru the JD phase, which did not last long and was actually GJ for the most part, but then I found JBB, and that stuck with me for awhile, until I started doing a vat of the JBW & JBB - 50/50 which is still one of my favs.Nowadays I don't even care for the GJ, but the JD SB is quite delicious.
    Now I am all over the place trying to get as many under my belt as I can, trying to find the one…
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Enthusiast

Re: Gateway into this madness.

jim beam white and black vatted eh? i did booker's and black vatted last night and was rather impressed with it.

my head this morning however, not so impressed.

Advanced Taster

My eyes were opened wide by a bourbon dinner a friend invited me too years back. They served 5 courses with 5 different bourbons, none of which were available in Ohio at that time. My wife and I had been on a wine kick for quite some time so I didn't think I was going to be that impressed, after all whiskey was made for shots. I was completely dumb founded by the flavors and nose of bourbon and went on a buying binge that hasn't stopped. The one bourbon that stood out from the 5 was Weller, I don't recall if it was the W12, OWA, or SR, but it was so damn good.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    I always had/ordered ET & water

I thought ET was bourbon water...

mine started with making an old 1700's recipe of an apple liquer made with reduced apple juice with sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and EW 1783. eventually I realized i didnt need the first 4 ingredients and just started trying everything. I find myself buying mostly HH and JB products, but the cheaper HH stuff and the higher end JB stuff.

Enthusiast

The short answer: Buffalo Trace.

The longer answer:

Like many (I would presume), "Jack & Coke" was a bar staple for me when I was in college and shortly thereafter. That morphed into Gentleman Jack at home, but still mixed with Coke. Eventually I nixed the coke and drank GJ on the rocks. Then I morphed over to bourbon with Buffalo Trace, and that's where the magic happened. My liquor cabinet exploded into dozens of bottles of bourbon that I now drink exclusively neat, but I have to admit I still keep a bottle of GJ around (currently the only non-bourbon whiskey I have, but I am looking into adding a rye here soon too).

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey 101..I had really gotten into Single Malts, but was then working out of town in a tiny place that didn't have any thing but JBW, JD, and WT 101. I had drank WT many times in the past with coke.but never thought of trying bourbon neat. I was wowed by WT 101..it isn't as good as it used to be..but the last bottle I had was better than it was in 2011-2012. Maybe it's coming back.

Enthusiast

Initially, it was WL Weller (when I was too young to even be drinking it). Later, it was Buffalo Trace that brought me back into the fold, but when my brother-in-law introduced me to a bottle of Buillet, I knew there'd be no turning back.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Advanced Taster

Makers was the first, but I was really just testing the waters at that point. Soon after, a friend who used to work for BT turned me on to their brands - that's when the obsession part started.

Enthusiast

Hadn't thought about this in years.

I was not a whisky fan due to one (1) overindulging on CClub right after HS graduation in 1963. In late '69 I was out of the Richmond VAH and visited an Army buddy in Walter Reed AMC. Soon I was making runs for him & his wardmates (& a few docs BTW since we were all just busted up, not sick). We started w/Southern Comfort but by Christmas were splitting a fifth of JD between us. THEN, I discovered it came in quarts but didn't tell him. Took over a week for him to figure out that he did NOT have some exotic disease giving him morning headaches.

So, CC for 1 day to SC for a month to JD (which lasted for yrs). Now, if it's brown, it goes down - in moderation, of course. No more 1/2 bottle nights. I now know I'm mortal.

Disciple

After switching from the dark side about this time a year ago the only thing I am sure of there isn't "the one" and for that reason I am very grateful.