Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Elmer T. Lee SB, Jeffersons PR SB, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms?

It seems to me that these use the same mashbill, vary from almost 90 to 100 proof, and NAS and yet run in price from $25 to $50. I have all four and cannot tell much difference. Is there much difference between them except barrel selection?

Edit: I mean Hancock's not Jefferson's. What happens when I should be working.
    Last edited by Enoch; 03-13-2013 at 06:54.

Disciple

Elmer T. Lee SB, Jeffersons PR SB, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms?

Hancock's PR right? Not Jefferson's? Yes those all use the same mashbill. All are single barrel, all are NAS. They differ in barrel selection, proof, and probably somewhat in age. I believe that Blanton's in particular comes from one warehouse only. For myself, factoring in price, I'd choose ETL.

This is pretty well standard practice - every distillery save for MM releases the same distillate in many iterations.
    Jim

Guru

Re: Elmer T. Lee SB, Jeffersons PR SB, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms?

Elmer Lee and Rock Hills are made by Buffalo Trace, share the same mashbill and display a related nature in their profiles. ETL is sweeter and shows flavors associated with a darker style and Rock Hills is more complex and sophisticated, two brothers who pursued different paths, as it were.. These two show what can be done by Master Blenders who have a number of barrels to choose from which in the case of Buffalo Trace means millions of gallons.

The company who produces the Jefferson brand buy their whisky from others and do not disclose their source(s) so what's in the bottle is a mystery and there is no assurance the next run will not be sourced from a different supplier.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Hancock's PR right? Not Jefferson's? Yes those all use the same mashbill. All are single barrel, all are NAS. They differ in barrel selection, proof, and probably somewhat in age. I believe that Blanton's in particular comes from one warehouse only. For myself, factoring in price, I'd choose ETL.

This is pretty well standard practice - every distillery save for MM releases the same distillate in many iterations.
    Sorry, I meant Hancock's PR. And I usually drink ETL. It is the one thing that is cheaper in Virginia than SC and is often on sale for $24.99 so I pick up a couple of bottles when I'm up there. I always keep Blanton's out of sentimentality because it was the first bourbon I tasted in my modern era (30 years after college). Tried it in a small riverfront bar in Frankfort and decided to switch from Scotch. I don't think Hancock's or RHF is worth the difference. JMHO
    Last edited by Enoch; 03-13-2013 at 06:53.

Guru

Hancock is one I've never figured out. Like the politician it's named for it seem to try to please everybody while being unremarkable compared to the others. A high grade, well polished whisky that doesn't offend and presents in a wooden box that wraps well as a gift.

Pleasant but innocuous, a house pet rather than a hunting dog.

Connoisseur

All AA mashbill. Hard to beat ETL, especially considering price. AAA same mashbill too, last year's TPS selection was very good, although it actually still does have an AS.

Guru

I dropped all those brands a long time ago.
    Except for a few of the BTAC BT basically blows grass and pine.
    ovh

Guru

I've never done side-by-side comparisons across them (actually never tried Hancocks PR), but I thought both Blanton and RHF were over-priced. I do like ETL (as well as AAA), and ever thought much about what they all have in common, but for enjoyment-per-dollar I would go with ETL or AAA.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

I find ETL and Hancock's to be similar, sweet citrus being the main theme, while Blanton's and RHF are darker and more complex, more dry and woody, probably older or more intensely positioned in the warehouse. Depending on mood, I think all are equally worth their price.

Guru

Gary I've done comparison tastings of all four on my own and in group tastings I hosted. The consensus mirrors what mamba said above and the reason FHF and Blantons cost more is the packaging. Having said that RHF is one of the best Bourbons I've ever tasted.