Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

A Waste of Good Rye?

This afternoon I sloshed 2-3 ounces of Jim Beam rye over a fist full of ice cubes in a tall water glass and filled it with Reed's Extra Ginger Beer. That left me with a couple of inches of the ginger beer.

About half-way through my drink I dumped in the rest of the ginger beer and threw in some fresh ice cubes. That made the rest of the drink too weak.

The JB was way on the other side of the house, but Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 y/o was practically at hand. I wavered momentarily, and then I grabbed the VW and poured in a mighty slosh. The dark color cascaded toward the bottom of the glass.

I took a sip. It was a much better drink then the original with all JB. The Van Winkle taste came shining through. I'm not about to say that I would give blanket approval to the practice of mixing VWFR with ginger beer, but it does make a superior drink.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

Re: A Waste of Good Rye?

I'm torn sometimes by a similar dilemma--my absolute favorite Manhattan is made with Van Winkle 13yo. I almost have to have a moment of silence when I contaminate it with the vermouth. But I forgive myself after the first sip. It's just SOOOO darn good! Sacriledge? Perhaps, but it's a guilty pleasure!

Guru

If it is that good, I don't see any problem with it. Enjoy yourselves!

Tim

Advanced Taster

I recently had guests over and a friend asked for a Manhattan. I told him to choose a bourbon from my bourbon shelf, VW rye or an American whiskey (that he usually likes ). He selected ORVW 15yo/107! I told him that I refuse to spoil a great sippin' whiskey for a Manhattan and told him to select again. He chose Buffalo Trace. Good for him! It was better than some of the rock gut I also have, but not so good that I felt really bad pouring vermouth in it. Also, lucky for me, he didn't ask for the Booker's in his Manhattan.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

On a recommendation from Gary Regan, while in New York a few years ago I went to the Ritz, found the bartender Gary named, and asked for a Blanton's manhattan. It was sublime. It's just like when you cook with wine. Good whiskey just makes the drink taste that much better. (Pappy and Coke, anyone?)

Advanced Taster

...(Pappy and Coke, anyone?)
    Yeah, right!

Enthusiast

(Pappy and Coke, anyone?
    While i've always respected your opinion, now you've gone too far

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sorry, I should have used an emoticon. Is there one for "tongue pressed firmly in cheek"?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

On whether the best whiskey always makes a better cocktail: ORVW 13 year old rye whiskey is so good it is kind of a Manhattan on its own: full and sweet, fruity, even a shade bitter (or dry) from oak extract. Adding vermouth and bitters seems superfluous! Actually I do recall once having a very good Manhattan made from this rye whiskey, so maybe there can never be too much of a good thing.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Your comments on the VWSRR are dead on...lots of spice and fruit but a dit dry on the finish. I enjoy it except when I smoke a cigar. The dry finish turns bitter when combined with a good smoke.

Randy B.