Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

"Pappy? We had it but sent it back because..."

"Because we couldn't sell it! Same with those Wellers! Too much money." - Nearby town's liquor store

Of course in Oregon this is a state-run operation, and they can't sell for anything but the mandated price. This is last year's release this liquor store manager is talking about of course, but it was like being in a parallel perhaps better universe.

Sounds more like a store with a cash flow issue or a manager looking for an excuse.

Even if they received a large allotment (30 bottles of pappy). That is not all that money for something they know they will sell eventually at a reasonable profit.

And if I had to guess, the average markup (across all products, not rare whiskeys) in control states is still higher than free market/non controlled states.

Advanced Taster

Re: "Pappy? We had it but sent it back because..."

Markup varies - some control states have very reasonable prices on things that many non-control states will often have higher prices - this is especially true of more desirable, rarer bottles. I think the problem is the three-tier system with the mandatory middle-men taking the cut. Even "free-market" states aren't exactly a free market. And don't get me started on the almost complete lack of a legal after-market.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    "Because we couldn't sell it! Same with those Wellers! Too much money." - Nearby town's liquor store

Of course in Oregon this is a state-run operation, and they can't sell for anything but the mandated price. This is last year's release this liquor store manager is talking about of course, but it was like being in a parallel perhaps better universe.
    Here's a 2-part question: How much seemed to be "too much money" to this person; ...and part two: How long did he/she try to sell the bottle before giving up and sending 'em back? I think the answers to these questions would be quite informative.

Enthusiast

Idaho has State controlled liquor sales and the prices are statutorily set on a percentage basis. We do pretty well here price wise, I can get a bottle of EWSB for under $23. The only issue I have is that some things simply dont make it here. I dont know whose at fault for that and really dont care. Idaho has no limitations on shipping into the state so I get it worked out. Also our stores cannot return once purchased. They are required by law to turn the inventory annually and if they cant there is a perscribed formula to mark it down until it sells. Picked up a Macallan 18 for $53 in a small town store. Clerk said he didnt understand why they sent it to him. "aint nobody 'round here gunna buy that......"
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

WADR, sounds like (at best) an urban legend.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

I'll agree that it sounds like an urban legend but it wouldn't surprise me.
    As recently as 2011, one of my local stores has Lot B marked "on sale"
    for $39. When I brought the three bottles to the register, the clerk asked
    me "You're gonna buy all of these?!"

(Note - this same store clerk also looked at me funny when I scooped up
    a bunch of "marked down" Weller Centennials oh so long ago...)
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

You know I found out that this was actually true. They had 10, Lot B, and 15 on the shelf for nearly a year.

Though the "sent it back" was not necessarily true. She sent it to another liquor store here in the state where it was quickly snatched up. Suffice it to say I will be keeping this store on my radar.

Guru

I thought you were going to say that being so old it was past it's use by date.