Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What is on your list of bad bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Agreed also. I just pray to the bourbon gods that Beam uses substandard juice to blend with their cherry swill. I would hate to think that some of the bourbon used for Red Stag could have become a Beam Black or Knob Creek. Evan Williams cherry is just as awful but it is actually not blended with bourbon. HH uses american whiskey beause it talks about "grain neutral spirits" being a large percentage on the label. Again it is awful but at least they ruining less bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I have to feel certain that Beam uses their substandard barrels for making Red Stag. For what it's worth, I actually thought it was ok when I tried it. Obviously not something I would drink often, but on ice for a change of pace it wasn't bad.
    Come on now guys (I'll assume guys ). Being a discussion board, speculation happens on SB here but the notion that Red Stag is batched from a big dump of substandard barrels...I'll politiely call nonsense. Stag is labeled straight bourbon whiskey. Beam represents that it is 4 years old and the same whiskey as the White label. It is going to be the same distillate that will be Black or KC or Bookers. The barrels are dumped to obtain a consistent taste profile before the infusion and from common sense, how you going to do that with a whole batch of substandard barrels. If they even do a separate dump for Red Stag (I doubt but who knows) it would have the same amount of substandard barrels as for any dump...just enough to be hidden by all the standard ones.

Nothing wrong with disparaging Red Stag, as this is a discussion board , but hopefully the more they sell the more capital they have to put out what we want.

And someday I can tell you a story about what not to do with a bottle of Red Stag but have to hold off for now .

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/inde...rowth-in-2012/
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

I met a girl who liked Red Stag with cola and she led me astray.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I met a girl who liked Red Stag with cola and she led me astray.
    I keep a bottle of Red Stag purely for my wife. I almost dumped it, but played out the imaginary argument in my head.

Wife: Where is that black cherry stuff I liked?

Me: Oh, I threw that away to make room for a private selection of FRSB.

Wife: But - I liked that black cherry stuff? How many bottles do I actually like??

Me: Yeaaaaaah . . . but it was taking up space for GOOD whiskey! Wouldn't you like some good whiskey sweetie?

Wife: *smack*
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Dude, we lack the strength to fight girl power.

Connoisseur

Add me to the list of those who don't believe there is "bad" straight bourbon whiskey, just those that don't appeal as much as others. Most SBers would likey find Blanton's and OGD 114 well within the acceptable range but I have had guests sip them and say "Blech!" It seems to me that their response says more about them than about the bourbon. (Not to mention what it says about the manners their mammas failed to teach them.)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Other than one or two bottles that had cork taint, the only truly bad straight bourbon I've had was the infamous WR4G.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

OF Prime
    JW Dant (80, not the BIB)
    WR Maple Finish
    Basil Hayden's certainly isn't "bad" by any stretch, but it's annoying.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Other than one or two bottles that had cork taint, the only truly bad straight bourbon I've had was the infamous WR4G.
    How coincidental. After my experience with the WRMC Sonoma Cutrer, I donated my WR4G to a worthy cause. Seriously.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Just visited my brother in Texas and had a drink of Garrison Brothers. Two years old, B to the third power (Bad Beyond Belief), and very expensive. I suppose it is for the Texan who must drink something distilled in Texas--maybe a loyalty thing.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    How coincidental. After my experience with the WRMC Sonoma Cutrer, I donated my WR4G to a worthy cause. Seriously.
    Joe, are we allowed to ask what cause found itself so worthy?