Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What is on your list of bad bourbon?

Yes, those are the entry level brands but still a step up from the blended stuff.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Of course that ET was being sampled by palates seasoned with good old Ten High.
    Very true, Squire!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Enthusiast

A coworker of mine brought in a dusty bottle she found at an estate sale thinking because it was old it should be good. It was grocery-store labeled bourbon (or was it labeled "whiskey"?... ). Anyway, MacGrouder's from what seemed to be the 60's. The sad thing was that the alcohol content wasn't high enough to be used as an effective engine degreaser, so it had a date with the drain.

I also agree on the local/craft whiskers, though they don't rise to that level of offensiveness. George Washington's gristmill Rye was up there, but that's OT because it was rye white dog... IMO commentators should really start extolling the virtues of these micro distilled whiskeys, though. That way the dumb money can chase after those atrocities until such time comes as they have a respectably aged product to sell!

Guru

There is actually some "dumb money" out there to be made if you don't care about repeat business.

Novice

The rebel yell was in a bottle and I believe it was a screw cap. I'd say early 80's maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by WildernessTrace View Post
    The rebel yell was in a bottle and I believe it was a screw cap. I'd say early 80's maybe.
    I quite like the 80's bottlings of Rebel Yell that I've tried. Not the most complex pour out there, but I certainly don't find it offensive.

Guru

I agree, the 80s era Rebel Yell was a 6 year old 90 proof expression made by Stitzel-Weller and was as good as any other SW product. Actually preferable to the 86 proof Cabin Still or 80 proof Old Fitz Prime.

Guru

tried some Evan Williams SB tonight and would have to add it to the list. We gave it as a gift to some friends and it had been opened about a month ago....there was about two shots left and i had one tonight. I didnt go back for the other....

surely it wouldnt go bad after a month, but I wouldnt waste my money on that again. HH BIB is better and less than half the cost. Lots of people like the EWSB, maybe this barrel just sucked....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    tried some Evan Williams SB tonight and would have to add it to the list. We gave it as a gift to some friends and it had been opened about a month ago....there was about two shots left and i had one tonight. I didnt go back for the other....

surely it wouldnt go bad after a month, but I wouldnt waste my money on that again. HH BIB is better and less than half the cost. Lots of people like the EWSB, maybe this barrel just sucked....
    Which year was it? I can understand if someone doesn't like it, but it was actually bad? Sorry to hear that.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

I would check the cork on that one.