Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Connoisseur

Re: What is on your list of bad bourbon?

Oh yea, those that don't like the Ezra Brooks, send it my way! It's actually a favorite inexpensive pour of mine.

---PS- This should give you an idea of how different my tastes in bourbon and rye are!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Once again, this guy is going to be in the minority here, but I also understand that.

-Wheated bourbon. Yuck. This stuff is just plain foul to me. I've dumped out bottles of Weller as I couldn't even choke it down! I think this pretty much just comes down to an issue of "It's not my style." I can appreciate it as a defined style of bourbon, but I am more than pleased to let the bottles on the shelf for those that appreciate it.
    That's fair. There are more than enough different bourbons to meet every one's tastes.

Virtuoso

An Old Fitz BiB by HH - bought two, one was enjoyable the other had a very weird musty/funky odor that I can only describe as "old garbage can". The palate wasn't too bad but no where near the first, quite vegetal, but that garbage can came back in the finish. Perhaps corked, who knows. Couldn't believe the variation between the two bottles. Two tablespoons of grade A medium amber and two bottles of Maker's Mark made it not just drinkable but actually quite enjoyable.

I'm still working on it ... when I've gotten it half way consumed I've dumped in more Maker's ... pretty soon I guess it will just be Maker's, and that's quite a good thing compared to where it started from. Too stubborn to throw it down the drain I guess.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Pappy 23, prolly.
    So very true, I agree!
    Amy

Virtuoso

What is on your list of bad bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Once again, this guy is going to be in the minority here, but I also understand that.

-Wheated bourbon. Yuck. This stuff is just plain foul to me. I've dumped out bottles of Weller as I couldn't even choke it down! I think this pretty much just comes down to an issue of "It's not my style." I can appreciate it as a defined style of bourbon, but I am more than pleased to let the bottles on the shelf for those that appreciate it.

Let's banned this guy!!! What did he say!!! Grrrr

Hahaha. This is the wonderful thing with bourbon, it is very subjective. Later, could be a month or years, never know you may love the wheated stuff.

Cheers
    Hugh

Virtuoso

Fighting Cock, not sure why but just upsets my stomach. Been a couple years and maybe just a bad batch of production, but no going to take the chance. I only trust their BBQ sauce in the HH gift shop now!