Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

howdy from New Mexico!

I've been enjoying my dessert (campfire marshmallow and 80% cocoa) after enjoying a T-bone over pecan coals under starlight-- complete with crescent moon and the comet astronomers have been chatting about. The glass of OWA 107 is good medicine for what might ail me; I was introduced to owa at a different campfire by an old horseman down in the Big Bend country of Texas this winter. I'm 64 years old and really just beginning to get serious about retirement and bourbon tasting. I have been a single malt and Irish whisky enthusiast, and back in the 60's it was tequila and sotol, a fiery spirit made only in the Mexican state of Chihuahua. That was a wild ride. Now, I want an old hoss that knows me and the country we're in, if you know what I'm getting at. I'm looking forward to tasting the many esteemed spirits discussed by the revered sages of the SB forum. It's good to be here.

Guru

Re: howdy from New Mexico!

It's good to have you here staplegund, welcome aboard. Drop by and visit in the chat room and we'll swap some stories. The chat icon is located on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Novice

Thanks, squire, I'll have to try the chat option sometime. BTW, if there's any other NM residents that can offer advice on better stores/bars to find quality items, I'm interested. We're kinda limited here. Might have to try El Paso, about 40 mi. from my place.

Novice

Yeehaw!I finally made the trip from home in Las Cruces,NM (southern NM) to El Paso, TXóa GINORMOUS Specís liquor store. In case you didnít know, NM is not known for bourbon; you canít even buy many good bourbons here. (There is a distillery in Los Alamos, NM that makes Don Quixote Indian Blue Corn Bourbon. Not bad, but not much flavor) Anyway, when I walked out of Specís with an armload of bourbon recommended by Cowdery on his blog and SB posts(Thanks! Very helpful), I felt like a kid again after getting a deluxe chemistry set for Christmas! AND I get to drink this one! Hereís my purchase list: OWA, WLW12, OGD86(114 not in stock), BT, ER, and got on the waiting listfor PVW20. I ran out of cash and decided on a list for next trip: 4Rsb, Willetís sb, WTRB, and another TBD, pending $. Iíllpost some personal tasting notes when I learn how, and finish this first homework assignment!
    Last edited by staplegund; 03-19-2013 at 18:48. Reason: copy/paste from MSword was funky

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by staplegund View Post
    Yeehaw!I finally made the trip from home in Las Cruces,NM (southern NM) to El Paso, TX—a GINORMOUS Spec’s liquor store. In case you didn’t know, NM is not known for bourbon; you can’t even buy many good bourbons here. (There is a distillery in Los Alamos, NM that makes Don Quixote Indian Blue Corn Bourbon. Not bad, but not much flavor) Anyway, when I walked out of Spec’s with an armload of bourbon recommended by Cowdery on his blog and SB posts(Thanks! Very helpful), I felt like a kid again after getting a deluxe chemistry set for Christmas! AND I get to drink this one! Here’s my purchase list: OWA, WLW12, OGD86(114 not in stock), BT, ER, and got on the waiting listfor PVW20. I ran out of cash and decided on a list for next trip: 4Rsb, Willet’s sb, WTRB, and another TBD, pending $. I’llpost some personal tasting notes when I learn how, and finish this first homework assignment!
    Sorry, I couldn't edit the font to read white on gray. Webmaster--any help here?

Enthusiast

Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.