Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What is your recipe for the Perfect Manhattan?

I have a bottle of Jim Beam rye, which I quite like all by itself, but I was reading that rye makes a great Manhattan.

What's your recipe?

Guru

Re: What is your recipe for the Perfect Manhattan?

My recipe is two parts whisky (or rum) and one part sweet vermouth. Rye is the traditional choice of whisky, I generally use Fee Bro. bitters.

Connoisseur

How much ice do you use? Cracked ice or cubed? Shaken or stirred? How much bitters, just one dash? Cherries?

Advanced Taster

2:1 (generally. depends on the whiskey i'll be using). 2-3 dashes of bitters. cherry garnish.

i prefer bourbon in my manhattan but use rye when i have it. currently using M&R vermouths for cocktails. angostura as my bitters.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Connoisseur

2:1 for me as well. I switch it up with bitters, but I think Angostura and Bokers are particularly good. I like Cocchi and Dolin for Vermouth. If I have the good cherries (Luxardo or the like), I use those. Otherwise, I go without a cherry. I use a 6 or so cubes of ice from the freezer and stir, never shake, for a good 30 seconds. Strain into chilled glass.

Advanced Taster

I find using only sweet vermouth to be too sweet for me most of the time in Manhattans. My favorite version is the Perfect Manhattan as outlined by Derek Brown:

Perfect Manhattan
    2 ounces of rye whiskey or bourbon (Wild Turkey 101-Proof Rye or Early Times Kentucky bourbon)
    1 ounce of sweet vermouth (Dolin if you can find it.)
    1/2 ounce of dry vermouth (Dolin again.)
    4 dashes of Angostura bitters
    1 brandied cherry (Les Parisiennes or similar brand)

I like mine with Ritt BIB. Dolin takes the cake for vermouth IMO.

Connoisseur

I wouldn't call it my "perfect" Manhattan, but here's how it's made in my house:

2 oz Rittenhouse
    1 oz Carpano Antica
    2 strong dashes of Angostura

Stirred over large cubes and strained into a chilled glass. Garnish with Luxardo cherry.

To improve on this you would have to use an unreasonably nice rye or high rye bourbon (like Sazerac 18 or FRSmBLE 2012) and use cracked ice. Whether or not the "baller" version would be an appreciable difference remains to be seen.

Guru

Mine is just like Trey's, except I have been using Bulleit Rye. The Carpano Antica Formula is expensive, but worth it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I wouldn't call it my "perfect" Manhattan, but here's how it's made in my house:

2 oz Rittenhouse
    1 oz Carpano Antica
    2 strong dashes of Angostura

Stirred over large cubes and strained into a chilled glass. Garnish with Luxardo cherry.

To improve on this you would have to use an unreasonably nice rye or high rye bourbon (like Sazerac 18 or FRSmBLE 2012) and use cracked ice. Whether or not the "baller" version would be an appreciable difference remains to be seen.
    Ditto. Antica is a must. I often switch up the rye, but Ritt is my house brand. Also willing to substitute different bitters, but angostura suits best.

FYI, as Trey and others alluded to, the term "perfect manhattan" describes another recipe.

Taster

Meant to add, a "baller" version made with THH makes a huge difference if your supply permits. Not necessary for everyday cocktails but worthy when you're in the mood to indulge.