Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: If You Could Pick Any Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by straightwhiskeyruffneck View Post
    They really told me this! It was while we were looking at barrels in one of their old rickhouses. A man asked what the oldest whiskey they had was,(dont remember how old) and the tour guide said they actually had too much older whiskey & to get rid of it, they'd have to come out with some older expressions. They'd start next year with a 17 year old barrel proof bourbon. Alot of questions were asked but he had limited answers
    I believe you (that they told you this), but my BS meter is about to go into meltdown. If they have old stock they want to dump, they could always bring the 12 year old back into domestic distribution. But I suppose that wouldn't be as big a moneymaker.

I have no doubt that they have enough 17 year old bourbon to put out a new limited edition (let's see, that would make it distilled in 96 or 97, not long after they ramped up production coming out of the glut) but the idea that they're swimming in a sea of superannuated bourbon is laughable.
    Last edited by Brisko; 03-19-2013 at 11:45.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

American Spirit was 15yr and supposedly had older juice in it, Tradition is 14yrs, hasn't been a big seller and has been on the market for 4 years or so. Having some stocks of 17+ available as a special edition sounds reasonable. Not sure about what they would call barrel proof - they seem to use the term loosely at WT. They call Rare Breed barrel proof and it's all bottled at 107.

Guru

No reason why they wouldn't have old stock, they've been making whisky for a lot of years.

Virtuoso

Well if that's the case, what's their excuse for putting out whiskey that's young and hot?

Like I said, I'm sure they have some-- not a lot, but some. I wonder where they'll price it? I've seen Tradition in the neighborhood of $100.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    they seem to use the term loosely at WT. They call Rare Breed barrel proof and it's all bottled at 107.
    I don't know about that, I have never seen or heard Rare Breed called barrel proof, they have been pumping out a lot of bottles for a lot of years at 108.2 proof so I doubt that they would say they all came out of the barrel at that proof but I could be wrong.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Well if that's the case, what's their excuse for putting out whiskey that's young and hot?
    Because spirits are trendy now and the trendy audience doesn't know any better, they just want to look cool,...did I say cool, pardon me that is oh so 1950's and '60's.
    ovh

Disciple

If You Could Pick Any Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I don't know about that, I have never seen or heard Rare Breed called barrel proof, they have been pumping out a lot of bottles for a lot of years at 108.2 proof so I doubt that they would say they all came out of the barrel at that proof but I could be wrong.
    It says barrel proof on the label.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    It's right on the label my man.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Rare Breed has a batch number (and I'm sure it's an ENORMOUS batch), so maybe 108.2 is the natural barrel strength. It goes in the barrel at 105, and RB is...what? 8 years old max? So depending on where it was stored I can see the vatting coming out to 108.2. "Cask strength" =/= "very high proof" by definition. It just works out that way with Kentucky bourbon more often than not.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It's right on the label my man.
    Damn, if you ain't right,...let's call WT out on this.
    First the mighty mighty SB.com got MM to stop the water now let's stop this,...Barturtle where are you now that we need you?!?!?!?
    ovh