Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Disciple

If You Could Pick Any Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Rare Breed has a batch number (and I'm sure it's an ENORMOUS batch), so maybe 108.2 is the natural barrel strength. It goes in the barrel at 105, and RB is...what? 8 years old max? So depending on where it was stored I can see the vatting coming out to 108.2. "Cask strength" =/= "very high proof" by definition. It just works out that way with Kentucky bourbon more often than not.
    I can buy that the early batch numbers actually denoted individual batches, but I don't buy that about WT-03RB. Purely speculation but I don't think they made a batch to last 10 years back in '03.
    Jim

Guru

Re: If You Could Pick Any Single Barrel

Let's see, WT has at least 20 warehouses, as of the fire in 2000, so there could be more since then, each holding a little over one millions gallons. I don't know precisely what their sales figures are but it's not 20 million gallons a year, so, yeah, they have some aged surplus.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    , so, yeah, they have some aged surplus.
    So when do you think they will bottle it and send it our way?
    ovh

Virtuoso

Both Tradition and American Spirit are both notably dry and woody. Some say overaged and overpriced. Both are younger than 17yrs. I'll hold off getting excited about the new stuff until I get a chance to taste it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Both Tradition and American Spirit are both notably dry and woody. Some say overaged and overpriced. Both are younger than 17yrs. I'll hold off getting excited about the new stuff until I get a chance to taste it.
    Yep, yep and yep on all three points, sometimes I get weak but holding off until 2014 isn't a bad idea,...unless WT can convince us other wise.
    ovh

Guru

Oscar as soon as they notify me I'll let 'cha know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Damn, if you ain't right,...let's call WT out on this.
    It happens once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    First the mighty mighty SB.com got MM to stop the water now let's stop this,...Barturtle where are you now that we need you?!?!?!?

I think you have the finest flock of turkeys I've ever seen, O. I think you need to lead the charge!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Rare Breed has a batch number (and I'm sure it's an ENORMOUS batch), so maybe 108.2 is the natural barrel strength. It goes in the barrel at 105, and RB is...what? 8 years old max? So depending on where it was stored I can see the vatting coming out to 108.2. "Cask strength" =/= "very high proof" by definition. It just works out that way with Kentucky bourbon more often than not.
    Supposedly it's a vatting of 6, 8, and 12 year-old stocks. And their barrel entry proof has gone up lately (too lazy to search for specifics right now). The new batch is going to be 111 or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I can buy that the early batch numbers actually denoted individual batches, but I don't buy that about WT-03RB. Purely speculation but I don't think they made a batch to last 10 years back in '03.
    Yeah, it does seem a little hard to swallow. Although the two WT-03Bs I've had in the past couple of years were pretty similar if not identical.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Which is why I would rather they put the aged stock into a 12 year-old bottling.

And that's why my early response for the "dream" single barrel specified a 12 year old Turkey (finally, back on topic!!).

And again, back on topic, would love to taste an Old Forester at about 9 or 10 years old and barrel proof.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Both George and Jack filter the new whisky through a deep vat of charcoal (10 feet or more) before barreling the whisky for aging. This is called the Lincoln County process. The whisky is again given a chill filtering prior to bottling. The difference is Dickel chills the whisky before each filtering.

Gentleman Jack gets a second run through the big charcoal vat (or something similar) after aging and before bottling.
    Also one, Dickel iirc, fills the tank and then releases the mellowed spirit, whereas the other just lets it drip through and collects at the bottom.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

An 18yo barrel proof Bowman Rye would certainly grab my attention.