Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: If You Could Pick Any Single Barrel

Saz 18 and WLW 18 at 107 proof, NCF. Just pour and enjoy.

Guru

I just tried my first WTRRSB tonight and thought that was the best WT product I've tasted . . . ever (disclaimer - I haven't tried their dusty stuff). I would love to try that same barrel but at barrel proof. Smokinjoe's description of "sugar bomb" was on the money!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Nice idea for a thread Steve.

Funny, your first example is something close to what I would pick. With me and my love of wheaters, a 12-15 year old Weller at 100 proof would probably be my first choice. A close second would be an ER17 at 101 proof. See where I'm going with this? New and improved versions of Weller Centennial and ER 101.
    So how about "W.L. Weller Antique" at 107 proof and 12 yr age statement? That's my dream bourbon. If they release it at 15 as well I'm down with that too.

Advanced Taster

I'd like to see ten different single barrel expressions from four roses. Both mashbills and all five yeast strains. Barrel proof and around two years older then the BP SB's they currently offer
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by straightwhiskeyruffneck View Post
    I'd like to see ten different single barrel expressions from four roses. Both mashbills and all five yeast strains. Barrel proof and around two years older then the BP SB's they currently offer
    I feel like we've been dancing around this conclusion for much of the thread, so I'll just say it: Four Roses pretty much already does this. They pretty much make the barrel proof single barrel bottles that we fantasize about with other distilleries. A couple years more in the barrel seems like a small gap between the reality and the ideal.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

I don't fantasize about Bourbon although Bourbon helps me fantasize.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't fantasize about Bourbon although Bourbon helps me fantasize.
    Yes. This.

morewordstofilltherequirement
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    I feel like we've been dancing around this conclusion for much of the thread, so I'll just say it: Four Roses pretty much already does this. They pretty much make the barrel proof single barrel bottles that we fantasize about with other distilleries. A couple years more in the barrel seems like a small gap between the reality and the ideal.
    The most recent FR SB Binny's Select Barrel's were a tad bit older (some 10 yrs vs 8 or 9 yrs), and they had a bottling for every yeast strain and mashbill. I think they're all gone now, but you might want to keep an eye out for it next year.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    So how about "W.L. Weller Antique" at 107 proof and 12 yr age statement? That's my dream bourbon. If they release it at 15 as well I'm down with that too.
    The 12/107 would be great. As for the 15, they do, it's called Pappy Van Winkle 15, especially the recent bottling.

Virtuoso

Sounds like the trend for these imaginary barrel picks seems to be to add more age and proof. Since this is a hypothetical exercise lets talk about what we expect we are gaining with our fantasy barrels.

What do you expect you favorite expression to gain from extra years in the barrel? More flavors? Which ones? Softer entry? More complexity?

What would higher proof bring to the party?
    Last edited by sailor22; 03-21-2013 at 06:05.