Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: what if a microdistiller made something that was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    If a micro distiller made something that was really good it would probably cost $150
    ank
    some of them try to rip people off in general, we keep our products priced so somebody can enjoy it and not break the bank.

Connoisseur

We have a new micro here, in Winter Park, FL. They bill their product as "young whiskey" and last year, when I sampled some, it tasted like vodka.

I should get a bottle now and see if it's any better. It's affordable.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/
    Last edited by Alden; 03-24-2013 at 09:47.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Their web site implies they distill their own rum, do you know if that's true?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Their web site implies they distill their own rum, do you know if that's true?
    I would assume so. Why?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon I enjoy from time to time. Koval's Bourbon using Millet as the 2nd grain is young but the sweetness of the corn is beautiful and shines through and is a delightful sip.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Dolph, for the most part I agree with what you posted. For the record though I think we should point out that both High West and Willet are selling whisky made by somebody else.
    Fo shizzle. I just like to throw those two guys into the equation because they are now distilling and I think their method (sourcing until they're able to produce) is more effective than other craft distillers (putting out young products, small barrels, etc.).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    If a micro distiller made something that was really good it would probably cost $150
    My thought exactly...I know Charbay whiskey is supposed to be stellar but the $300 entry fee keeps me at bay.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Advanced Taster

I think time will solve this problem - Many of the distiller's are already doing interesting things with Gins (once a sleepy category) - Berkshire Mountain's Barrel-aged gin is very, very tasty. Roughstock Whisky from Montana is making some good stuff, and not some not-so-good stuff. It's not all bourbon yet - but it is whiskey. As I've said elsewhere Balcones is making some great whiskies - and they've finally released a bourbon (which I've yet to taste).

As the Craft distiller's sales networks, customer bases and distribution networks grow in size they'll soon be in a position to lay down and eventually release older stock (at least the successful ones). While their prices may seem high now on a comparable quality basis, I think in 5 years time, maybe sooner, there'll a lot of people hunting for dusties from these very same distiller’s. And given the low numbers of cases being released it’ll be much harder and far more regional.

I could be wrong, it’s happened before I’m told, I just can’t remember when it was…..

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I think in 5 years time, maybe sooner, there'll a lot of people hunting for dusties from these very same distillerís. And given the low numbers of cases being released itíll be much harder and far more regional.
    I disagree. The mantra for the craft distillers is if you don't like our whiskey now, try the next batch, it's getting better. And that statement is the truth for most of these distillers. So why would dusty hunters want these early releases that were not that great? The exception is maybe it's a 1st release from the distillery and collected as a commemorative bottle.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    My thought exactly...I know Charbay whiskey is supposed to be stellar but the $300 entry fee keeps me at bay.
    Charbray also makes a whiskey that retails for under $60. I enjoyed a few pour last weekend and thought it was very good.