Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: what if a microdistiller made something that was really good.

[QUOTE=tmckenzie;330471 But if a micro should make whiskey that was close in flavor to what S-W made, would it sell to the general public? Or just enthusiasts like ourselves.[/QUOTE]

http://www.frdistilling.com/ - These guys in Ft. Worth, TX might come close to a SW profile. If you believe their website info on their Straight Bourbon, they are using roller mills, it's a wheated recipe, and they are aging in standard 53 gallon barrels. They started filling barrels March 2012, so who knows when it will truly be ready. I'd like to see it age 6 years, but figure they will sell it much sooner to make some money.

While we want to see a micro produce a 8-12 year old product, I doubt we see much of this. The craft moment started in earnest what maybe 5-6 years ago? How many barrels do you think they held onto this long? Maybe a few for a special product, but if so, the release will be mostly for marketing purposes.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'm interested in something with 'butterscotch' notes found in some of the old National Distillers products (Old Taylor) that I believe McKenzie is also working on.
    I am partial to some chocolate notes that turn up in older juice from time to time - surprisingly, some Old Crow from the late sixties. Jim Rutledge opined that chocolate turned up in their barrels from time to time but that it was unpredictable.

Guru

Wonder if they would take an advance purchase reservation on a chocolate barrel.

Virtuoso

That's a lovely thought Squire.

Guru

If I were a rich man, I would wait for a micros to fail and buy up all their stock and just let it age in my garage for 10+ years. If I didn't like it by then, I'd bottle and sell it at inflated prices in fancy bottles.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Well, one of my local microdistillers does make something awesome: Berkshire Mountain Distillery's "Greylock Gin" and the various one-off "Ethereal Gin" recipes.

Really good gin. I've bought a number of bottles, and will continue to do so.

However, I haven't yet bought their bourbon, as I've been drinking many others in the $40 price range. I'm just not feeling compelled yet; I wish they had a 375 or smaller bottle so I could sample it and see if I like it, but like most other micros, they seem to be only bottling in 750s.

Guru

I think the micros could make a smashing gin.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I think the micros could make a smashing gin.
    Many of them do make very good gins. New Holland, Corsair, Death's Door and Rogue all make very good gins.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Many of them do make very good gins. New Holland, Corsair, Death's Door and Rogue all make very good gins.
    I would like to add Watershed to the list of those with excellent gin. Their 4 peel and barrel aged are very good products, their bourbon can still use some work but they are showing the most promise out of the Ohio distilleries so far.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If I were a rich man, I would wait for a micros to fail and buy up all their stock and just let it age in my garage for 10+ years. If I didn't like it by then, I'd bottle and sell it at inflated prices in fancy bottles.
    You may not be rich, but you're very smart.

To answer the O.P.: if you want to sell whiskey, you have to be a good salesman. That's not the same as being able to make good whiskey. Just take a look back three or four years. Lots of great whiskey on the shelf and nobody buying it but us... some of us.