Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 92 of 192 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    A little PHC 10 124.3 and WLW 134.8 prior to the morning coffee. Damn the 134.8 is powerful but I think the PHC 10 was more enjoyable. Maybe the WLW will cool off as it gets oxygenated a bit.
    I'm joining in on the wheater before coffee Sunday morning with some 2012 WLW. Great idea!

Regarding the 134.8 proofer, maybe try a vatting with a lower proof wheater rather than using water - I had pretty good results with Weller 12 and have heard good things from some folks who used Old Fitz Prime.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

The CS wheater before coffee has become one of my favorite combinations as well. I started the practice after seeing Will post about it a couple times and it's delightful. I recently ordered the 2012 WLW and a coffee with my brunch at Longman and Eagle in Chicago, and it led to a conversation with Chad, the friendly bartender, on whiskey and the best times to drink it and best flavor combinations with different whiskies. His barista wife who works at Intelligentsia was also sitting at the bar and before long we were geeking out on all things coffee. To bring the conversation back around to whiskey, Chad placed a pour in front of me, with the words, "A little taste test."

I felt like he was feeling me out, and I'm pretty middling with the blind tastings, but I nosed it for a bit, and when he looked over, I said it smells kinda like Old Fitz Bonded, but like a nicer single barrel. He perked up, said that was incredibly close, that it was a wheater and close to 100 proof. That confused me for a sec, before he fessed up and admitted that it wasn't one whiskey but a vatting. He started saying, "One comes in at 107 proof," and before he could say another word, I blurted out, "You gave me the SB blend!" We shared a knowing smile and that was that.

I downed my dram with pleasure, and chalked the experience up as another proof of the great times and experiences I've had that have grown out of SB.com. I'm grateful to all of y'all and to SB.com.

Advanced Taster

you should have put the call out to the other chicago sb members. we would have gladly met up with you at longman and other local joints.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I'm joining in on the wheater before coffee Sunday morning with some 2012 WLW. Great idea!

Regarding the 134.8 proofer, maybe try a vatting with a lower proof wheater rather than using water - I had pretty good results with Weller 12 and have heard good things from some folks who used Old Fitz Prime.
    That's a great idea. I think I'll try that in the near future. Perhaps next Friday since that's the next day I'm off work.

After a great day yesterday, I decided to have a little barrel proof bourbon beside my coffee this morning. Poured a 126.6 Willetts this morning to go with my Millstone coffee. Pretty darn good.

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT WILL!

Thank you very much sir. May I have another?

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

SB blend - went 60% OWA 40% W12 this time.

Connoisseur

a little 4R cocktail yesterday to watch the Derby
    4R OBSK, cherry Gran Marnier, Noilly Prat sweet vermouth, Luxardo cherries
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Disciple

Some WTRRSB which I still can't get past the eminent young whiskey in the finish,I have done a small vatting of 50/50 with a WTRB which really added some depth and much needed sweetness into the mix.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Had some Grand Dad BIB.

Enthusiast

AAA 10 yr and ORVW10/107 tonight.