Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 80 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

Elijah Craig 12yr single barrel (McScrooge hand selected) barrel #4211263.

Also picked up a Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit single barrel.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    So where on Earth did you get those two?
    As far as I am concerned the 1-29-92's are the best EC 18's ever, they have a great blackberry vibe in them.
    I really like them too Oscar...there is a store that I drive by every now and then that did a private barrel of it...fantastic juice...I grab a couple every time I'm there.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Virtuoso

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    As far as I am concerned the 1-29-92's are the best EC 18's ever, they have a great blackberry vibe in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I really like them too Oscar...there is a store that I drive by every now and then that did a private barrel of it...fantastic juice...I grab a couple every time I'm there.
    Oscar, have you tried Binny's 5/15/92? IMO, these beat out the 1/29/92s, but 1992 was a great year for distillation!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Purchased a bottle of VWFR Rye today from a fellow SBer here. That makes the family complete now.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Connoisseur

Used a store credit to buy a Bulleit 10, because I'm such a Four Roses fanboy and I like the packaging. The text on the sides of the box are easily worth the premium. And I haven't even gotten to the sheet inside the box yet.

Disciple

I have been to KY several times but this is my first visit to buy bourbon. We are visiting relatives. I had never met old granddad but apparently he is 114!

Anyway, first, props to MyOldKyDram, who suggested Red Dot in Frankfort. I really appreciated the tip. It is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I ended up purchasing

VOBBIB
    OWA 107
    Larceny
    AAA10
    OGD 114

That was my initial purchase. I plan to visit another local store or two while in town. If I don't find anything that I like, then I know where to go before I leave town.

I am not sure what I am looking for but wouldn't mind finding some ECBP or maybe EC18. I am probably looking for a bottle in the $40-50 range and then a few cheaper bottles. They have HHBIB Gold and HH 6-year BIB, although I am not certain if they would be redundant.

I was very happy with the Larceny find. They had it in Indiana earlier in the year but I couldn't find any bottles with the rebate form. I ended up with two $10 rebate forms on my bottle. Yes, by accident. I noticed that later. So, that bottle will end up only being $15. Interestingly, I noticed some Ancient Age bottles with $3 rebate forms but not the AAA10.

Is ECBP pretty difficult to find? I realize EC18 is.

Disciple

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

Probably the only place you'll find ECBP in Kentucky is at Heaven Hill in Bardstown. It's not the same as the retail bottle - they have bottlings of various proofs available. It is more expensive than the retail bottle.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I have been to KY several times but this is my first visit to buy bourbon. We are visiting relatives. I had never met old granddad but apparently he is 114!

Anyway, first, props to MyOldKyDram, who suggested Red Dot in Frankfort. I really appreciated the tip. It is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I ended up purchasing

VOBBIB
    OWA 107
    Larceny
    AAA10
    OGD 114

That was my initial purchase. I plan to visit another local store or two while in town. If I don't find anything that I like, then I know where to go before I leave town.

I am not sure what I am looking for but wouldn't mind finding some ECBP or maybe EC18. I am probably looking for a bottle in the $40-50 range and then a few cheaper bottles. They have HHBIB Gold and HH 6-year BIB, although I am not certain if they would be redundant.

I was very happy with the Larceny find. They had it in Indiana earlier in the year but I couldn't find any bottles with the rebate form. I ended up with two $10 rebate forms on my bottle. Yes, by accident. I noticed that later. So, that bottle will end up only being $15. Interestingly, I noticed some Ancient Age bottles with $3 rebate forms but not the AAA10.

Is ECBP pretty difficult to find? I realize EC18 is.
    The HH Bonds are not redundant. I love them both, but the Gold is obviously younger.
    You found Larceny in IN? That's interesting. Just to warn you - the rebates are no good here. You'll have to have them sent to someone out of state.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Yeah, unlikely to find either of those two. Oddly enough, I did pass on several EC18 in IN last weekend.

Advanced Taster

Coolest thing I've bought lately are a couple bottles of Russell's Resevre single barrel. One signed by jimmy Russell himself from his visit to the downtown Specs in Houston.