Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 90 of 108 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Joe let us know what you think about the 2012 PVW 15. Especially if you have an older model to compare.
    Never have had any PVW - only the 10 and 12 VW. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful and excited about getting to try the PVW, but I know it's way overhyped too. My expectations aren't too high for that one. I nosed it a little when I got it and it immediately reminded me of OWA and ORVW 107.

I'm REALLY excited abuot the dusties! Anyway, I'll post my thoughts when I get to it.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Novice

Picked up Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday. I did a comparison with Four Roses Small Batch last night.

Being a noob, I'm not good with explaining what I smell/taste but here goes: Single Barrel was more amber (darker) and had more of a bite. For some reason, the Small Batch smelled a bit metallic/earhty? in comparison. Both tasted of honey but found the Single Barrel to be spicier. I like both but as of now I prefer the Single Barrel.

I even got the wife to get in on it. She tried both then moved on to Lot B!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    If I ever meet up with you at an Indy meet, you can try some of mine. A couple of years ago, long before I was ever interested in bourbon, I got a bottle of EC18 as a Christmas Gift from a friend. Back then I was only interested in Jack Daniel's, so I stuck it in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets and forgot about it. Now that I'm into bourbon, I'm thrilled to have it. It's still sealed and I've been saving it for a special occasion. I'll bring it with me when I finally make it to one of these SB social events and you can have some.
    Thank you! That sounds like a plan! I look forward to it!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TribeDoc View Post
    Picked up Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday. I did a comparison with Four Roses Small Batch last night.

Being a noob, I'm not good with explaining what I smell/taste but here goes: Single Barrel was more amber (darker) and had more of a bite. For some reason, the Small Batch smelled a bit metallic/earhty? in comparison. Both tasted of honey but found the Single Barrel to be spicier. I like both but as of now I prefer the Single Barrel.

I even got the wife to get in on it. She tried both then moved on to Lot B!
    Fair enough, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am still on my first bottle of FRSmB, but have gone through several bottles of FRSB. I guess that tells you that I agree with your preference for the Single Barrel. A couple of nights ago, I had a pour of the SmB, and it just wasn't doing it for me.

The SB on the other hand is always good (especially if you find particularly good barrels), and has become my top staple bourbon. I've turned quite a few of my friends onto FRSB as well--it never disappoints.

As to the wife, mine has taken a bit of interest in bourbon as well. I see her taking sips of my glasses often, and she's grown fond of Angels Envy over our other bottles. Must be the finishing of AE.

Virtuoso

3 x VOB BiB 750ml
    1 x AAA10yr 1L
    1 x Old Forester Signature 200ml

First time with each - tried the VOB last night and really enjoyed it - reminded me of BT but with a bit less cinnamon hots that I get from that bourbon - had a dusty/toasty oak note on the finish that I liked but everything here seemed really well balanced. At one point I consciously tried to find an off-note or something off balance and I couldn't do it. I can see why this barely makes it out of Kentucky! This is one I'll want to keep in the house if at all possible.
    Mark

Guru

I agree Mark, I make it a point to keep some Very Old Barton around myself.

Taster

Just snagged a bottle of "FR 2013 Single Barrel LE OBSK"...this is my first Single barrel FR so i'm pretty excited.

Advanced Taster

1x JPS18
    2x WT 101 Rye
    2x Original Bourye.
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare with the "Single Barrel" designation still on the front of the bottle.

Advanced Taster

MM UofL bottle for a friend. I actually just had a cardinal BIRD try to fly into my glass door. My wife yelled at me to look outside. Need to get this out of the house quick.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!