Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed!

Enthusiast

Re: Speed!

Hey Alden, no offence but if you did a bit of searching through old posts to cover some of the basics the speed of your posts might be easier to keep up with.

as a newb myself .... just sayin

Guru

The search feature is fine but perhaps some subjects should be revisited from time to time.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The search feature is fine but perhaps some subjects should be revisited from time to time.
    Agreed, but this particular poster has sprayed questions at the speed of light in the last 6 hours on a wide range of newb topics.

IMO, its good etiquette to do a bit of digging (i.e. work) before/after joining a forum rather than expecting the existing members to do all the work for you - at least that's what I do.
    Last edited by portwood; 03-20-2013 at 16:47.

Guru

So answer them or ignore them, your choice.

Advanced Taster

For me I always pour 1oz, and it lasts 30min. I usually stick to about 3 different drams per night.

At least Alden didn't ask the value of a Pappy 23 and then ask if anyone wanted to buy it for 30 times what he paid. Newb here. I'll go crawl back to the hole I came out of.

Connoisseur

Thanks for that.

I know I'm asking a lot of newb questions, but like you said, revisiting can be a good thing.

Advanced Taster

Second that, sometimes our responses to newbies (and I'm admittedly am barely beyond) are plain mean. If you had a bad day at work, or now realize you'll never taste SW Pappy 20, take it out on your wife or kids, that's what they're there for. (In the interest of stiff-arming legal proceedings, I'm kidding about that last comment.) It's bourbon, not Dresden.
    Mark

Taster

i agree with all that it depends on the bottle. my standard pours are not measured, are usually 100 proofers and take me about 15 mins. two big ways i end up increasing the speed of my consumption is on the rocks and in situations where you cant put your glass down. with ice in the glass, its like having a shot clock in basketball except on how your drink tastes. the more watered down it becomes the easier it goes down, but the quality of the taste decreases, so its a race against the ice melting. and in certain social settings where you are standing around with a glass in your hand, its just natural to want to lighten your arm's load a little quicker. when you are sitting at home and put your glass on a table, the choice to reach over and take a sip becomes a much more conscious decision.

Enthusiast

Agreed! If there is anything to be jovial about, it's bourbon.

I usually drink from a Glencairn glass, neat, and fill it to the middle of the bulge or a little above, probably 2 oz. plus.
    I average about 1 of these every 30-45 minutes, with 4 total being my usual maximum. Then again, sometimes . . . .