Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speed!

Guru

Re: Speed!

Sometimes you just have to keep ahead of the evaporation.

Enthusiast

My at home pours are typically small-ish, about 3/4 oz. I would guess such a pour lasts me half an hour, or slightly less.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I usually drink from a Glencairn glass, neat, and fill it to the middle of the bulge or a little above, probably 2 oz. plus.
    I average about 1 of these every 30-45 minutes, with 4 total being my usual maximum. Then again, sometimes . . . .
    This is about the same for me. Except last night after posting in the "What bourbon are you drinking..." I had to go back and look at what I wrote to recall what I had as my 3rd pour, after my 4th and 5th drinks(which btw I did not post). See, revisiting does have an upside.
    It was just one of those nights.

Disciple

Generally for me a 50-70ml pour is on the schedule of 30-40 minutes,some BP stuff even longer generally never more that two in an evening.I will also have to add during the summer months a large bourbon on the rocks while grilling may only be a 10 minute task.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Hm.. I generally have only one or two drams in a night, and not every night at that. A 1.5oz to 2oz pour usually lasts about 20-40 minutes for me.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I remember Hemingway writing about this. He was an expert drinker. He always said to pace yourself and that way you would be able to handle it much better.

Of course, he was talking about drinking all day, pretty much every day, as he got older anyway.
    I recall a story about F. Scott Fitzgerald meeting Hemingway in Paris. Papa drank a lot and Scott tried to keep up. But he had hypoglycemia and could not process the alcohol as efficiently. Didn't keep him from trying. Spent a lot of time inspecting the shine on shoes under the table.
    Churchill was another drinker who rarely got drunk. Some of us are just lucky that way.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    I recall a story about F. Scott Fitzgerald meeting Hemingway in Paris. Papa drank a lot and Scott tried to keep up. But he had hypoglycemia and could not process the alcohol as efficiently. Didn't keep him from trying. Spent a lot of time inspecting the shine on shoes under the table.
    Churchill was another drinker who rarely got drunk. Some of us are just lucky that way.
    That's from A Moveable Feast. Great book of memoirs by Hemingway about his early years in Paris, published posthumously. I highly recommend it. He described Scott as suddenly looking like he had been stricken by something terrible, and how he went pale and his face looked like a death's head, or something like that, and then he passed out.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Legend has it that Churchill drank a fifth a day during the war. I can't say I blame him - that was a tough job!
    Pete

I hate scotch.