Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Bill Samuels on rye

Not sure if this was posted before but this comment from Bill Samuels seems to fly in the face of popularity:

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/blog...-politics.html

On June 11, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    A Brief Foray into Whiskey Politics
    By Reid Cherlin

"..."What are your thoughts then," I asked, springing my trap, "about the rising popularity of rye whiskey?"

Boom.

"You people," Samuels huffed, shaking his head. "All the press cares about is 'what's next.'" He put his hand against my elbow, and for just a moment, in the midst of his post-partisan cocktail party for the Cocktail Party, he let loose his inner partisan. "Rye," he said firmly, "is a back-of-the-palate taste. Back-of-the-palate stuff has never been appealing to Americans. And that's a fact."

Read More http://www.gq.com/news-politics/blog...#ixzz2Rc2SaQjT

Never been appealing to Americans? Wow.
    Well, no MM Rye then....and explains the use of wheat rather than any rye.

"Maker's Mark is unusual in that no rye is used as part of the mash. Instead red winter wheat is used, along with corn (the predominant grain) and malted barley."
    Last edited by Jono; 04-26-2013 at 15:52.

Enthusiast

Re: Bill Samuels on rye

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Bill Samuels responsible for marketing a brand (with only 2 expressions) that depends on the LACK of rye in the mash bill as its reason for existence?

Bill Samuels has NO rye to sell, therefore, it's a product that is not of interest - to him!
    Any good salesman will tell you the product he has for sale is much better than the one he doesn't have!!!
    Last edited by portwood; 04-26-2013 at 17:01.

Connoisseur

His dislike of rye doesn't really play into why makers is a wheated bourbon

just him spinning the PR machine

Guru

Yep, they are rye averse and evidently plan on keeping their distance. It is a branding issue. I don't mind MM, in fact, I put in squarely in
    my middle range of personal tastes, because it is a wheater it is inherently a little easier on the tongue, but, I really enjoy the spice and
    complex flavors that rye adds. To be fair, his statement was said to the reporter as a private comment, but it does reflect his view re product.

Guru

The gentleman has his preference and I have mine.

Disciple

Ahh Makers, this is par for the course for them.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

He is talking about perceived mass market tastes, and he may be right. This is why after 30 years of trying, craft beer is still only about 6% of the market by volume (it is about 10% by value). Well-hopped beer - i.e., beer which uses traditional amounts of hops in its formulation - still is largely abjured by the average person. "It's bitter" they say...

Same thing with the rye tang in whiskey. You could say the same for Islay whiskey, for root beer (think about it) not to mention sarsparilla, for gin (now overtaken by tasteless vodka), and many things.

It is a careful commercial calculation. He is not talking about his personal taste, but the market.

Gary

Connoisseur

Wait, wait...

Rye has never been appealing to Americans? Is this guy retarded or does he know nothing of the history of his industry? Rye was THE whiskey Americans drank for years and was the only whiskey in America until bourbon was invented. Even after the advent of bourbon, most Americans in the mid-Atlantic states still drank rye! It was only after prohibition that rye fell out of favor with Americans. Only now has the country re-realized the good flavor of rye whiskey. It sounds like he feels threatened by people liking rye again. One more reason I hate Maker's Mark. Nasty swill.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

The funny thing is his distilling ancestors going back to 1844 made the family reputation and fortune on rye recipe Bourbon.

Virtuoso

A few of us hit the MM tour during Sampler weekend. The guides really hammer the whole "Bill Samuels thought rye is bitter or too spicy or whatever blah blah blah" thing to the point that we couldn't stop starting sentences with "Bill Samuels hated bourbon..." for the rest of the day.