Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

Can you taste the wood in the Jefferson 10 yo rye? Most 10 yo have a pretty good amount of char flavor, but not sure about this rye, never had it.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    Can you taste the wood in the Jefferson 10 yo rye? Most 10 yo have a pretty good amount of char flavor, but not sure about this rye, never had it.
    To me it was not too noticeable- the flavor was dominated by the rye flavors (pepper, herbs, a little mint but not too much) coming from that hgh-rye mashbill.

I prefer the Jefferson's Canadian-sourced flavor profile over those in the LDI-sourced ryes.

Guru

Willett 5 yr. Only found this once. Always the 4 around here. Like this one quite a bit.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Pikesville View Post
    To me it was not too noticeable- the flavor was dominated by the rye flavors (pepper, herbs, a little mint but not too much) coming from that hgh-rye mashbill.

I prefer the Jefferson's Canadian-sourced flavor profile over those in the LDI-sourced ryes.
    I mostly concur with Pikesville, though I would add that for all of the rye flavor, I also find it pretty sweet (in a good way). The wood shows up in a mildly tannic finish (also pleasant). I'm pretty happy with it. I only ever had one pour of Whistlepig in a bar, and I remember liking it quite a bit--but I can't recall specifics, so I can't say how Jefferson compares. I know most think that the source of the two whiskies are the same, and of course I do not know if they are. But I do know Jefferson is almost half the price at my local shop, and I'll be going with it when I want a 10yr old 100% rye.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Willett 5 yr. Only found this once. Always the 4 around here. Like this one quite a bit.
    I got ahold of the 5 year once and loved it! Now the same store has a fair amount of the 4 year old but I haven't tried it. What do you think of the 4 year old?

Guru

If you like the 5 then the 4 yr won't disappoint. It's still plenty good by my count, maybe a little bit more of the pickle juice note, and the rye doesn't cut quite like the 5 does, but solid good stuff nonetheless.

Connoisseur

Had a pour of Saz 18 tonight. Enough has been said about this that I will refrain from gushing on about how good it is, other than saying I have been draining this particular bottle at a rapid pace.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    I got ahold of the 5 year once and loved it! Now the same store has a fair amount of the 4 year old but I haven't tried it. What do you think of the 4 year old?
    THe 4yr is also quite tasty. If by chance that store has barrel 1122, buy it. That one show up in state within the last year or so, and was quite good. I h e a couple of that barrel stashed.

I remember Brisko thought it was pretty fine barrel also.

If not, still buy one, I haven't had a 4yr that I haven't liked. Have a 5yr open currently in the rotation.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I love love love the willet 5yr rye
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

4yrs are fine, 3yrs have been inconsistent, I have had barrels I enjoyed lot more than others. They all taste older than they are. Something about aging things at Willet.....

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post

If not, still buy one, I haven't had a 4yr that I haven't liked. Have a 5yr open currently in the rotation.

B
    Bourbon only requires a glass.