Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

I saddled up to the bar and decided to become familiar with Whistlepig 111; I am glad I bought a well-priced dram and not an overpriced bottle. To me, the WP111 came off as a bit astringent and the 100% rye mash bill of this thing seemed boring compared to other whisk(e)ys in this price range. While I have not done a side-by-side with the WP10, my memory says despite the lower proof, I probably like it more as it lacks some of the more tannic qualities. Is Whistlepig 111 bad? No. Is Whistlepig 111 good? No.

All of this said, I think I am just starting to find the super-high-rye mash bills tiresome. As I was telling another member, the 100% Albertas and 95% LDIs just seem to lack the complexity that I get from something with even a little bit of corn in it. Take the High West 16 for instance, that 10% corn and bit of extra malt really added depth and nuance that made it special, while still being very spicy.

The pitch about 95%-100% rye being super awesome is something I am not buying anymore (figuratively and literally). I think it is really a way for a few places to take advantage of market supply constraints and sell whiskey, originally destined as a flavoring ingredient, as a premium product at a premium price.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-01-2013 at 22:56.

Guru

I've come to the same conclusion Will, these flavoring whiskys lack complexity and are not worth some high premium.

Advanced Taster

Tried Dickel Rye for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. It is more subtle than some ryes but I thought it was balanced. The spice, mint, and oak all seemed to be in harmony to me. I tried it neat and on the rocks.

I looked at the bottle a bit and it is not designated as "straight" rye whiskey. Nor is it called a blend. As far as I can tell it is only called a rye whiskey. Is it possible that it was aged at LDI in used cooperage? It then supposedly goes through the Tennessee process of being leached through maple charcoal. I also noticed that it is bottled in CT. Does it go from Indiana to Tennessee to CT?

Anyways, I think it is worth the price I paid ($21) and it is a good thing to have around when Baby Saz is hard to find like it is currently around here (MN). The most important thing is that it tasted good to me and the price point is in my wheelhouse.

Guru

Hey, if it passes the price/quality/taste test . . .

Guru

Having a pour of VWFRR before heading out to see Justin Townes Earle.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    Tried Dickel Rye for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. It is more subtle than some ryes but I thought it was balanced. The spice, mint, and oak all seemed to be in harmony to me. I tried it neat and on the rocks.

I looked at the bottle a bit and it is not designated as "straight" rye whiskey. Nor is it called a blend. As far as I can tell it is only called a rye whiskey. Is it possible that it was aged at LDI in used cooperage? It then supposedly goes through the Tennessee process of being leached through maple charcoal. I also noticed that it is bottled in CT. Does it go from Indiana to Tennessee to CT?

Anyways, I think it is worth the price I paid ($21) and it is a good thing to have around when Baby Saz is hard to find like it is currently around here (MN). The most important thing is that it tasted good to me and the price point is in my wheelhouse.
    That's a good price IMO. I got it for $32 which I feel is high but it is good whiskey. I did a 1:1 vatting of Ritt BIB and Dickel Rye the other night, talk about a good pairing! The Ritt added a little complexity from the corn that Dickel lacks. I may have to do a larger vatting to keep on hand.

Eric

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post

Nice notes and info, Grain Belt - thanks. I am pretty much over LDI Rye, but am curious to try the Dickel because the process is so different.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-04-2013 at 10:21.

Guru

The different treatment Dickel gives the rye is what I find appealing.

Advanced Taster

I find it's less grassy/minty than Bulleit rye, most likely due to the charcoal filtering. Doesn't taste sooty though.

Eric

Guru

I don't find a sooty quality in the Tennessee whiskys though I've seen the term used for years.