Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62
  1. #31
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    10,683

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Donno Joe, you got any Scottish genes in your heritage.

  2. #32
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    745

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    I am partial to Midleton Very Rare, but I really haven't found an Irish I don't like, so far.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

  3. #33
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    149

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Until a few days ago, the only Irish I tried was Redbreast 12yo (big fan) and standard Jameson. A few days ago I picked up Black Bush, Jameson Select Reserve, and Locke's 8yo single malt. My favorite of the 3 was Jameson Select Reserve, followed closely by Black Bush. The Locke's 8yo left a mineral spirit taste on my palate that I couldn't get rid of until over hours hours later...this one was returned to the store. Next up on the radar are Green Spot and Writer's Tears.

  4. #34
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,044

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    Until a few days ago, the only Irish I tried was Redbreast 12yo (big fan) and standard Jameson. A few days ago I picked up Black Bush, Jameson Select Reserve, and Locke's 8yo single malt. My favorite of the 3 was Jameson Select Reserve, followed closely by Black Bush. The Locke's 8yo left a mineral spirit taste on my palate that I couldn't get rid of until over hours hours later...this one was returned to the store. Next up on the radar are Green Spot and Writer's Tears.
    Are you in the States and able to find those two locally? I had heard Green Spot was coming but haven't seen it yet. Didn't know Writer's Tears was available in the US.

    Edit: Ah, just occurred to me, you are probably live in or are near Canada, hence the access to these two.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 04-14-2013 at 06:54.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. #35
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    149

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Are you in the States and able to find those two locally? I had heard Green Spot was coming but haven't seen it yet. Didn't know Writer's Tears was available in the US.
    I'm in Ontario, Canada. This is available for $85. Our selection is scaled down from most places in the State...I guess we are fortunate in this case.

  6. #36
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    I'm in Ontario, Canada. This is available for $85. Our selection is scaled down from most places in the State...I guess we are fortunate in this case.
    Yeah, very fortunate to have a 700ml bottle of 40% NAS whisky available for the low low price of $85
    I'll write a thank you note to the benevolent LCBO as soon as I finish this post.
    Last edited by portwood; 04-14-2013 at 07:52.

  7. #37
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,044

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Yeah, very fortunate to have a 700ml bottle of 40% NAS whisky available for the low low price of $85
    Better than no local access at all I suppose. Which is what I have now.

    Then again I probably spent less than $85 for the bottles of Green Spot I had shipped from the UK, including shipping. And now that the Powers John's Lane has shown up locally I can get a 750ml bottle of superb SPS 46% 12 yo whiskey for about $70-75.

    So I will just have to make do with that!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  8. #38
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,781

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  9. #39
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    775

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    Red Breast is good. I really like Tyrconnell. Knappogue Castle 12 is a great value around here at $24. Bushmills 16 was something that I tried recently that was fantastic.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  10. #40
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Downriver, Detroit, MI
    Posts
    653

    Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

    I'm no particular fan of Irish Whiskey. Of the few I've tried, I would say the Tullamore Dew 12-year is the best, second would be ordinary Tullamore Dew, followed by Bushmills. One I tried and and found absolutely awful is 'The Tyrconnel', if I spelled that correctly. That one reminded me of kerosene that had been left too long opened up to the air.... EEEEEEWWWW!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Irish Whiskey Soda Bread with Irish Whiskey Butter
    By Jono in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 17:08
  2. Concannon Irish Whiskey
    By chperry in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 16:04
  3. Irish Whiskey Table
    By Jono in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 08:22
  4. A glass for IRISH Whiskey
    By New2Whiskey in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 10:31
  5. Irish Whiskey...what else!
    By Jono in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 22:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top