Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

Redbreast CS would be my fave, but looking forward to giving the Green and Yellow spot a go here in about a month.

Connoisseur

I mentioned on another thread that I picked up a Powers 12 and that I was not terribly impressed. But it is growing on me, especially if I just throw a cube in it and don't ponder it too much.

Having said that, I will probably replace it with a standard Powers which can serve the same "on the rocks" purpose much cheaper.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Enthusiast

Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
    Ditto. Definitely my favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I'm no particular fan of Irish Whiskey. Of the few I've tried, I would say the Tullamore Dew 12-year is the best, second would be ordinary Tullamore Dew, followed by Bushmills. One I tried and and found absolutely awful is 'The Tyrconnel', if I spelled that correctly. That one reminded me of kerosene that had been left too long opened up to the air.... EEEEEEWWWW!
    You must have gotten a bad bottle, maybe someone drank the whiskey, then filled it with kerosene to clean a bicycle chain later, ... or something.

I haven't had Redbrest, but I've had a few and I like them all. So there's not much difference between my top and bottom here, but here goes:

Connemara peated (especially the cask strength version, whoa!)
    Black Bush
    Bushmill's 10 y.o.
    Green Spot
    Tyrconnell
    Powers
    Clontarf
    Tullamore Dew
    Jameson 12
    Jameson
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
    My fave, as well. Listen, I'm a bourbon-first guy, but I'm not sure I can find more than a couple that I like better than this Irish. Definitely, in my All-Time Top 5 of all whiskies.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

A less common Irish that I have taken a liking to is the Greenore 15yo. Unfortunately it is not readily available locally. The 8yo is more common and OK but a bit on the mild side.

This is an all grain (corn) mashbill that is aged in used bourbon barrels. The extra time in the barrel makes a significant difference though. Perhaps the appeal is because it seems a bit more bourbon-y than others.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    You must have gotten a bad bottle, maybe someone drank the whiskey, then filled it with kerosene to clean a bicycle chain later, ... or something.

I haven't had Redbrest, but I've had a few and I like them all. So there's not much difference between my top and bottom here, but here goes:

Connemara peated (especially the cask strength version, whoa!)
    Black Bush
    Bushmill's 10 y.o.
    Green Spot
    Tyrconnell
    Powers
    Clontarf
    Tullamore Dew
    Jameson 12
    Jameson
    Agreed. Tyrconnell is one of my favorites and is exceptionally smooth. Connemara is a smoky whiskey for sure. One that most people won't mention is 2 Gingers, which is only here in MN. It's another Cooley product, but it's got nice balanced vanilla and citrus. Good for sipping...great with ginger ale.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Last week I would have said Redbreast 12, either proof. Last night I grabbed a Powers' John's Lane, and wow! Very similar to the Redbreast (probably off the same still) but the harsh penny flavor/bitterness I find easily in the Redbreast is hard to find in this, and replaced with some great honey notes. My list now looks like this:

Powers' John's Lane
    Redbreast 12

everything else.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Agreed. Tyrconnell is one of my favorites and is exceptionally smooth. Connemara is a smoky whiskey for sure. One that most people won't mention is 2 Gingers, which is only here in MN. It's another Cooley product, but it's got nice balanced vanilla and citrus. Good for sipping...great with ginger ale.

Now that Beam owns Cooley it seems that 2 Gingers is likely to get broader distribution. Seems to be a young whiskey primarily intended for mixing such as with ginger ale/beer to suit the younger "hip" crowd (although the name has more to do with the hair color than the soda apparently). Might try it if I see it but not one I am hunting for at the moment.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    Last week I would have said Redbreast 12, either proof. Last night I grabbed a Powers' John's Lane, and wow! Very similar to the Redbreast (probably off the same still) but the harsh penny flavor/bitterness I find easily in the Redbreast is hard to find in this, and replaced with some great honey notes. My list now looks like this:

Powers' John's Lane
    Redbreast 12

everything else.
    Another convert!