Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Liquor store etiquette

As I was perusing through the bourbon's of a store in Roswell, a store employee, probably 50ish, came over and started talking to me about certain products that they had received recently and asked me what I preferred. He started to suggest certain bottles, so I gave him my opinion about some of the pricing vs. my enjoyment factor with which I had issues (Hudson's, BTEC, etc). After he had listened, actually listened, he determined that I wasn't in there to grab a handle and 2-liters of Coke(not knocking anyone's preference...too badly). What was surprising is that he started asking me questions, such as: If a customer likes Bourbon X but not the price, what other brand could I recommend that would be similar?, Why did we get all this Templeton Rye(he really asked, they had a lot), et al. I had a nice conversation with him, although my wife was curious as to what took so long getting home. As a bonus, he asked me for my name and number to put on their PVW call list.

Guru

I have to admit that I have not read a single post in this thread but I had to add something because it's so F'ing funny.
    "Liquor Store Etiquette",....the title alone is funny as hell, so what more do you want?...........ah blunt wrapper and a double shot and some numbers.
    ovh

Taster

I used to throw a softball question out there to see if the given clerk knew anything. Like, "Can you recommend a wheated bourbon?" Time and time again, I was disappointed. Eventually, I gave up on the fantasy of meeting a bourbon "guru" working at a store. Then, I found SB.com...

Nowadays, I fall firmly into the camp of biting my tongue. Nobody likes unsolicited advice from a know-it-all.

Guru

Yeah, those know it alls can be a pain, especially the old curmudgeonly ones.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    ...although my wife was curious as to what took so long getting home. As a bonus, he asked me for my name and number to put on their PVW call list.
    Gotta love it when putting in the overtime gets you a bonus.

Disciple

I would probably take the selfish approach of weighing the mistake. I mean - if the clerk is recommending garbage to the uneducated shopper, who might otherwise pick up something decent in short supply, I might chime in with support for the clerk - a little "You got that right buddy! Won't got wrong with that Wild Turkey 81 Rye!" and then throw my hand up for a high five (and if he leaves you hanging for a few seconds, you make an insistent bobble-head motion while gently rolling your eyes).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    /The main thing is sincerity, once you learn to fake that the rest is easy.
    Oh my! Just when I think you can't top your last post you come up with this one!
    Squire, they need to bronze you and put you in the SB Hall of Fame!
    Jon

Taster

In the end I wished I had taken Chuck's advice. Instead I mentioned that Bulleit is made by Four Roses. The clerk interjected that "... but Four Roses is Brown-Forman so its still right." I smiled and slid on down the isle a ways, leaving the two to their discussion.

If the customer really wants to know about bourbon, he will find this forum and all will be revealed anyways.

http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 1000 whiskies (Come on SKU, you really want to add me to your blog list, dont ya?)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Deep Thought: Civilization is built on lies, myths and fantasies. Destroy or dispel them and gird your loins for the anarchy of reality.
    Sounds like you just finished a whiskey soaked marathon of the Matrix movies. Been there, done that!

Virtuoso

It's probably best to get to know the staff before you start offering advice. That way you can determine how receptive they might be to information. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time. It's a lot of fun talking to people who share your interests, but you come off as an ass to those who couldn't care less.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay