Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Liquor store etiquette

That's interesting, because I've heard that Bulleit buys their rye from MGP, which used to be LDI. In fact, I don't know of any 95% rye that isn't MGP juice.

And then go from there...
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Deep Thought: Civilization is built on lies, myths and fantasies. Destroy or dispel them and gird your loins for the anarchy of reality.

Guru

Yes, gray hair, an air of authority, a facility with words, gentlemanly demeanor and politeness get the point across without causing offense.

The main thing is sincerity, once you learn to fake that the rest is easy.

Disciple

The words "Templeton and Iowa made" make it hard to stay silent. A smart phone to prove your point helps at least to the store clerk...most of the customers could care less about correct information. And if you don't know AG...Cowdery is a regular contributor here including 2002 BOTY.
    Last edited by T Comp; 03-21-2013 at 04:56.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Iíve corrected (out-of-town) clerks on both Templeton and Bulleit, and I canít help but think that I came off as a pretentious know-it-all. Iíve found that if the person is inquisitive, go ahead and chime in (casually) because the person will probably appreciate the information, but if the clerk is spouting off some nonsense and the customer is eating it up, best to keep quiet.

Thad is right - most customers don't care (and want something they can shoot, not sip).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Depending upon how strongly I feel about the misinformation (and misinformation is my least favorite thing, right up there with slaughtering babies)...
    Misinformation is also my least favorite thing, but as stated earlier, no good deed goes unpunished, so long ago I decided to replace the criterion of "how strongly I feel about the misinformation" with a different filter: I only correct misinformation related to a) my professional settings or b) me personally. I've found that people spouting nonsense (those with benign intent anyway) are usually either simply ignorant of the facts or are attempting to provide themselves with the illusion of control over their environment in some way. Members of the former category often don't appreciate the facts being pointed out, as they feel made wrong. Members of the latter category wish to remain free of facts, as their minds are already made up.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Misinformation is also my least favorite thing, but as stated earlier, no good deed goes unpunished, so long ago I decided to replace the criterion of "how strongly I feel about the misinformation" with a different filter: I only correct misinformation related to a) my professional settings or b) me personally. I've found that people spouting nonsense (those with benign intent anyway) are usually either simply ignorant of the facts or are attempting to provide themselves with the illusion of control over their environment in some way. Members of the former category often don't appreciate the facts being pointed out, as they feel made wrong. Members of the latter category wish to remain free of facts, as their minds are already made up.
    i have the same philosophy.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The main thing is sincerity, once you learn to fake that the rest is easy.
    Regardless of context, this is one of the greatest things I've ever read.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The words "Templeton and Iowa made" make it hard to stay silent. A smart phone to prove your point helps at least to the store clerk...most of the customers could care less about correct information. And if you don't know AG...Cowdery is a regular contributor here including 2002 BOTY.
    I may be a little bit of a PITA, but I've taken great delight at visiting Templeton's table at events like WhiskyFest when they are pitching their marketing to a good size group and asking for a pour of some of that great Hoosier made whiskey.

Guru

Give 'em enough rope and they will hang themselves.