Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Liquor store etiquette

I posted this question on one of my favorite blogs the other day:
    I'm in my local store last Saturday, standing by another customer and a store clerk. The customer says, "I really am interested in knowing the distilleries and source of the whiskey I buy." The clerk proceeds to tell the customer that Bulleit makes great whiskey at their distillery and is part of Brown-Forman. Futhermore the clerk states Woodford Reserve is sourced and not made at their own distillery.

Question: Do you chime in to clear up the mis-statements and potentially lose a sale for the clerk?

The answer was really insightful:
    "As for correcting ignorant strangers, that particular good deed almost never goes unpunished. Also, consider that they don't know who you are, so objectively they have no way of knowing who's right and who's wrong. Bite your tongue and walk away, or start a blog." http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...manns-rye.html

I hope he doesnt mind if I reprint his answer here, but it was so good I thought to share it with everyone.

http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 1000 whiskies (rats! i dont qualify to get on SKU's list since I'm a database site. oh well)

Guru

Re: Liquor store etiquette

No, I completely disagree. When in that circumstance (I've been there) I immediately yet politely correct the misinformation, no one has ever mistaken me to be uninformed and I have always been thanked for providing the correct answers.

Actually, in the stores I frequent, if a customer were to ask such a question the clerk or owner would point to me and say, "ask that guy".

Guru

I've tried. It's never been appreciated, by the clerk or the customer. I don't bother any longer.

Liquor store etiquette

If I am in my local store and someone has a question, the whisky monger generally points to me. If I am out and hear something erroneous, I keep my mouth shut as in the eyes of a random customer and random liquor store employee my opinion really doesn't mean anything no matter how right I am and how wrong they are.

Advanced Taster

Hate finding myself in these situations. If you say nothing, you feel guilty like a doctor just driving by a car wreck. If you say something, you might end up like brainy smurf.

Enthusiast

Now I'm confused. If BF makes Bulleit, why can't they make Woodford Reserve???

Guru

Sure they can, just ask the clerk.

Connoisseur

Bite your tongue and move along. It won't do any good to educate the ignorant.

Virtuoso

I have a very good answer for you, if you're good with words and people. Depending upon how strongly I feel about the misinformation (and misinformation is my least favorite thing, right up there with slaughtering babies), I may approach the clerk after he is done talking to the customer and say one of the following:

"It seems like you're really into whiskey. Have you ever looked into straightbourbon.com? Lots of good information there!"

"I couldn't help but overhear you talking to that other customer, and I wanted to let you know that some of what you said was incorrect. (insert correct info here) Please don't take my word for it- this is verifiable (at reliable source)."

or something along those lines. Many times, the clerk really thinks they are sharing correct info- and it's all about approach. How good are you with people? How assertive? How likely to make them listen to you? If you come across as an authority and from a position of power without being threatening and make it clear that your intent is to HELP, not make them feel stupid, many people will listen.

This mitigates much of the damage of the misinformation, because even if the one customer leaves, at least the clerk will tell the next three the right info. Depending upon the customer, they may not remember. If it looks like they're seriously into whiskey, I may talk to them, too, who knows?

It's all about measuring your mark and suiting your words and body language to the task, and I rarely have an issue with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

It's funny you should mention Bulleit, because I heard the same thing from a shop owner who said he liked the new rye they were distilling. Said he got the information directly from a rep of the distillery. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.