Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good spots for rare bourbon in Tokyo?

I'm headed out manana to Japan to spend some time with friends and the wifey...does anyone out there know good places to go hunting? I got into bourbon when I lived in Japan, used to drink Maker's Mark black wax all the time, it was stellar...but apparently no longer made. I'm hoping to find some places in Shinjuku/Shibuya area that are known for having great bottles, but I'll also drop in on small mom/pop spots if I have to.....any suggestions of what to bring back? I already have IW Harper 12 yr, thought maybe I'd get the 4R stuff.....thanks in advance for the help! Oh, and by the way, am I the only person having problems using the return/enter key? IE doesn't seem to let me use the return key anymore!?!?

Disciple

If it were me I'd be after age stated Turkeys.

But first, and far more importantly, I would stop using IE. Both Chrome and Firefox are much better options.
    Jim

Re: Good spots for rare bourbon in Tokyo?

Yeah, I thought about some WT 12, but I'm not really a big Turkey style fan....dunno why, but it just doesn't send me. Maybe if I get a 12 at the duty free that will change my opinion, but I'm more looking for weird stuff.

I know that Japan consumes more bourbon than we do, would hope there should be some good spots to find, no?

Oh, and yeah...Firefox is better.

Trippah and Admin

Have you ever met SB member Koji?

I recommend sending him a PM to ask for tips. He may be able to hook you up.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Have you ever met SB member Koji?

I recommend sending him a PM to ask for tips. He may be able to hook you up.
    PM sent to Koji, thanks for the info, Ox!

If worse comes to worst, I'll just try to grab a bottle of Blanton's cask strength, I *think* that's sold in Japan, that'd be awesome.

Novice

I have the phone number and address of a store selling a lot of american stuff. they even advertise IW Harper that hasent been bottled since the early 90s. I dont know how to post the address on here and it is in japanese but you can contact me tajjs@mtaonline.net and i will forward the site to you. I am new to this site and not too savy about it so bear with me. Art Jennings, Wasilla, Alaska

There are a handful of good stores in the Shinjuku area (and one great bourbon bar), but I can't for the life of me remember any names.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

You should be able to find Koji at Bar Sal's (assuming he's still there)

The blog is for both locations.

http://craftheads.blog88.fc2.com/
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Thanks for the help, SB community! While Bar Sal's seems solid, that's actually not in Tokyo proper, it's in Kawasaki, which is significantly west of town...so I'll just dig around Shibuya and Shinjuku and see what I can turn up. However, I'm definitely gonna hit up that shop!

Connoisseur

I actually just read this post over at TWE and then I saw your thread. Don't know if any of these places are too convenient for you, but if you like the dark side of whiskey it might be a good time. I for one want to try the three-gin Negroni, but there's no way I'm ever going to have two bottles of beefeater gin on hand.

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/20...e-whisky-bars/