Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses For the Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    This bottle says "Small Batch" on the label. Not "Single Barrel".
    Understood Alden. I was referencing other recommendations for you to try the Single Barrel, and trying to make the point a Single Barrel Four Roses can be confusing to newbs.

The Small Batch is probably a great starting point for you especially if the Yellow Label isn't available.

Guru

For me the Small Batch is the ending point which has been my position since Four Roses bottled their first single barrel.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Understood Alden. I was referencing other recommendations for you to try the Single Barrel, and trying to make the point a Single Barrel Four Roses can be confusing to newbs.

The Small Batch is probably a great starting point for you especially if the Yellow Label isn't available.
    Yeah, really, the various special barrel strength single barrel offerings are really the main, if not the only, source of confusion about the Four Roses lineup.

Yellow is a good balanced basic bourbon that uses all of their yeast/mashbill combos. Small Batch is basically a better (90pf vs 80pf, presumably more selective barrel selection) and proportionally(?) more expensive version of the same thing. It does use a smaller range of their yeast/mashbill combos, but it still uses them for a balanced effect. Each of the single barrels, on the other hand, definitively use only one of the yeast/mashbill combos, and so each of them is pretty different. Plus, there is the distinction between the standard 100 pf and the barrel proof single barrels - obviously also a pretty big difference. (see the rest of the thread for the single barrel distinctions)
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I recommend the standard yellow label Four Roses, 80 proof.
    I like Four Roses but the yellow label taste way too watered down for my taste. Especially knowing how good it can be.
    I'd go with a single barrel OBSV. Lower rye with good red fruit flavors.

Connoisseur

I had a sip. Contrasted it with OGD. Nothing alike.

There is a flavor, or flavors, in the 4R SmB that is/are unlike any I have tasted in any bourbon so far.

It almost tastes like corn to me, and I have never been able to pick that out in any other bourbon for some reason.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

I just tried the regular 80 proof 4R for the first time tonight, and even though it has less flavor than it's stronger siblings, it still has the luscious 4R mouth feel.
    I then blended it with OGD BIB at 50/50, and it was just terrific. If you haven't tried this, you must!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I just tried the regular 80 proof 4R for the first time tonight, and even though it has less flavor than it's stronger siblings, it still has the luscious 4R mouth feel.
    I then blended it with OGD BIB at 50/50, and it was just terrific. If you haven't tried this, you must!
    Funny you mentioned this. I was thinking of doing the same thing.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Novice

I'm also a Four Roses newbie. I started with the FR Small Batch, and just upgraded to the Single Barrel. For the extra $8 (Chicago prices) I'm very glad I got the FRSB. The Small Batch was very nice, but the Single Barrel is amazing. Very smooth, even at 100 proof. More peppery. More complex. Longer finish.

I'm still glad that I tried the Small Batch first. It's a fine bourbon. But now I'm spoiled.

Nick
    No anchovies? you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger"

Connoisseur

Just went to Total Wine and Spirits and HOLY COW it's like the Walmart of booze at that place. Except without all the trashy people.

I saw 4 Roses Single B for $40.00, OGD 114 for $25, and a bunch of ryes I never even heard of.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Just went to Total Wine and Spirits and HOLY COW it's like the Walmart of booze at that place. Except without all the trashy people.

I saw 4 Roses Single B for $40.00, OGD 114 for $25, and a bunch of ryes I never even heard of.
    And so it begins...