Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Advanced Taster

Re: Four Roses For the Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
    I'm also a Four Roses newbie. I started with the FR Small Batch, and just upgraded to the Single Barrel. For the extra $8 (Chicago prices) I'm very glad I got the FRSB. The Small Batch was very nice, but the Single Barrel is amazing. Very smooth, even at 100 proof. More peppery. More complex. Longer finish.

I'm still glad that I tried the Small Batch first. It's a fine bourbon. But now I'm spoiled.

Nick
    nick, if you like the general single barrel, when you get the opportunity, pick up a retailer's private selection of OBSV. it's the same recipe used in the general release but barrel strength. OBSK is my go to for single barrel selections, and i would recommend that without thinking twice.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Apprentice

I'm a newbie also and after trying the yellow label a couple times at bars I jumped right into the single barrel selections from Binny's and TPS. Right now I have OBSV, OESO (both opened), OBSK, & OESK. (Both unopened). Both the OBSV and OESO are terrific. What I find strange is that I have to dilute the OBSV (55%) but can drink the OESO (59%) straight with no problem. Either way, these are among the favorites in my collection.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by omgmarclol View Post
    nick, if you like the general single barrel, when you get the opportunity, pick up a retailer's private selection of OBSV. it's the same recipe used in the general release but barrel strength. OBSK is my go to for single barrel selections, and i would recommend that without thinking twice.
    Thanks for the suggestion. As soon as my budget improves a bit, I plan to pick up both the barrel strength OBSV and OBSK. For now, I'm very, very happy with the regular FRSB.

Nick
    No anchovies? you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger"

Enthusiast

Agreed on the 1Bs. Last summer I picked up an OESO 12 yr and an OBSK 17 yr, both at cask strength, from the distillery shop.

The OBSK 17 yr was one of the top 5 whiskies I've ever tasted. Got about one drink left in the bottle, and then the cryin' starts!