Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses For the Novice

I'd recommend both the Single Barrel and the Small Batch. Both are very good products, and in somewhat contrasting styles. Most people seem to prefer one over the other. I happen to really like the small batch but there's only one way to find out. Like I say both are very good and worth your while to track down.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Trippah and Admin

My first venture into premium bourbon was FRSB and I've been a FR evangelist ever since.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I just asked the manager of my local if she could try to get some of the yellow label for me. She said "maybe".

We'll see what happens.

Enthusiast

Straightbourbon.com is why I got into Four Roses (FR or 4R) at all.

I knew the name from their old advertisements from the 1930s, 40s and 50s (do a search on "vintage four roses advertising", it was fun stuff), but I only had them in my mind as a label on blended whiskey (like Thompson's) and hadn't tried any of their modern bourbons after they started selling straight bourbon whiskey again in the US in 2002.

I started with the Yellow Label (FRYL), but for me, that's a summer bourbon, with less punch and flavor. Tasty with a cube or two of ice in the summer, though!

I progressed to the Small Batch (FRSmB) and really like it. I haven't been buying it as much while I've been working on many other labels, but it's a favorite at that price point. The SmB is what I'd recommend for your first experimental bottle of 4R. It's important to know if you like the "house style"; there are members here who love many bourbons but don't like 4R at all.

I haven't yet had the chance to buy a bottle of the standard Single Barrel (FR1B or FRSB) because a local store has a "specially selected" Single Barrel that's only a few dollars more and VERY tasty. A number of the really big stores (Julio's in Massachusetts, The Party Source, K&L, etc) can buy whole barrels for a special Single Barrel release (yield about 280 bottles/barrel) of recipes other than the standard 1B. So instead of the standard OBSV recipe, I've been having a great time with Julio's Liquors "Loch & K(e)y Society" OESO-recipe 1B.

I also found out about some of their their special bottlings, the 1B Limited Edition (FR1BLE) and Small Batch Limited Edition (SmBLE, which was called Mariage when it started). Annual editions priced a bit over $80 in MA, and I found Mariage 2009 at a little store in 2012, last year's 1BLE12 only one bottle at another store, and last year's SmBLE12 at several stores. I dug deep to buy multiple bottles because I liked the whiskey so much.

They have some special editions beyond that (there was a 17-year-old 1B at the gift shop that's been mighty popular around here), but haven't managed to taste them yet. I'm definitely looking forward to this year's 1BLE and SmBLE.

Guru

Between the Small Batch and Single Barrel I'll take the Batch every time. The folks at the House of Roses really know how to blend their recipes together.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Between the Small Batch and Single Barrel I'll take the Batch every time. The folks at the House of Roses really know how to blend their recipes together.
    Dagonnit, squire, you gotta quit agreeing with me all the time. people are going to talk.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

I would also recommend the SmB and SB and bypass the Yellow label 8, just not that much there IMO.I enjoy the SB quite a bit more than the SmB and will admit it may start an obsession as it did for me to try all of the 10 offered in the SB selections.You will find it very interesting to see the variances among all of the different yeast strains ans mashbills and how they shine in their own special way.Yes I'm definitely a fan and hooked for life!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Four Roses seems to make a bewildering variety of bourbons.

For a newbie, which are the best ones to start with?
    I agree with what several others have said. Start with Small Batch
    Well, how can it not be McCormick's, the $7 well bourbon of the finest dive bars? Tastes like kerosene and sadness.

Taster

SB (pitchfork raised)

Enthusiast

I had 3 or 4 of the SmB before I ever tried the 1B, and thought it was the way to go, terrific stuff.

But . . . then I tried the 1B, and have never looked back.