Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Virtuoso

Re: What Wine Are You Drinking? Spring/Summer 2013

Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval Vineyard 2007 - primarily Cab Sauvignon, but a Bordeaux Blend w/ Merlot, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. Fruit has faded some exposing more acidity, but tannins are resolved. Lost a lot of fruit in the last two years and is staying reasonably balanced; still, going to be drinking up the rest soon.
    Mark

Virtuoso

2007 Tenuta di Trinoro Le Cupole, a red bordeaux style blend from Tuscany. I'm really, really liking this one.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Finally found a bottle of the E. Guigal Gigondas I was drinking in France, here in Delaware... I love this bottle, just wish it wasn't so hard to find here
    Don't chase around trying to find it. A good wine shop can easily order it at any time for you from whichever Delaware wholesaler that represents Vintus, which is the U.S. importer for Guigal. (Gigondas as a region doesn't get much attention from American consumers, so many wine shops won't carry many.)

If the Delaware wholesaler does not carry it as a regular stock item, they will have to special order a solid case from a Jersey warehouse(Where most importers hold stock), so you may have to commit to an entire case.

Of course, if Delaware is a control state, and I have no idea if it is, disregard my advice and accept my condolences.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Don't chase around trying to find it. A good wine shop can easily order it at any time for you from whichever Delaware wholesaler that represents Vintus, which is the U.S. importer for Guigal. (Gigondas as a region doesn't get much attention from American consumers, so many wine shops won't carry many.)

If the Delaware wholesaler does not carry it as a regular stock item, they will have to special order a solid case from a Jersey warehouse(Where most importers hold stock), so you may have to commit to an entire case.

Of course, if Delaware is a control state, and I have no idea if it is, disregard my advice and accept my condolences.
    Although if one lives in Delaware, unless you live in southern Delaware, it might not be all that hard to make a run up to a New Jersey store to order it, right?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

It doesn't work that way. The Jersey location that I referenced is where most importers will hold extra stock for shipping to various wholesalers in each state. Every retailer in Delaware still must order wine through their state wholesaler.

So, Vintus brings in wine directly from Guigal in France, holds it in Jersey, a wholesaler in Jersey will order through Vintus and store it in a Delaware warehouse, then your friendly neighborhood retailer orders Guigal from said wholesaler, who then ships it to the store.

My original point was that stores can't carry everything, but they have access to most things. One does not need to run from store to store to find something, because any retailer worth a damn will bring in a special order for a customer.

Guru

Thinking more along the lines of developing a relationship with a NJ store that might be able to order it from the importer than a Delaware store can. Presuming one is close enough to NJ to make that practical.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Had a great Betz family vineyard Cabernet this week from Washington State, went great with a Strip steak.

Best regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Thinking more along the lines of developing a relationship with a NJ store that might be able to order it from the importer than a Delaware store can. Presuming one is close enough to NJ to make that practical.
    I have a store that can order it at any time and I pick it up 2 days later.. Just some sick part of me that enjoys seeing it on a store shelf when I am out whiskey hunting.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A Jersey store would still have to order it from a Jersey wholesaler, who would order it from the Importer. The fact that European importers happen to keep stock in Jersey is a matter of shipping out of Europe, and they cannot sell directly to stores who simply happen to be located in Jersey.