Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Turkey 101

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey 101

Went to the local liquor store and saw it for $20.00. Never tried it, that I can recall. Is it a pretty good one?

Seems to be popular, but then so is Jack Daniels, which I do not like.

Connoisseur

Re: Wild Turkey 101

Well I guess I'll pick one up and judge for myself.

Advanced Taster

OK, I will go ahead and wade into the very controversial, bitterly memory laden minefield of an issue that is the Wild Turkey distillery and say that WT101 pretty good. While there are cheaper and, IMHO, better alternatives for a value 100 proof whiskey (Evan Williams BIB or Fighting Cock comes to mind), WT101 at $20 is still a pretty good / fine value. Particularly if you like your bourbon with a relatively woodier and spicier profile (compared to, say, the thickly sweet profile of Fighting Cock), I say go for it. Also, unlike the two listed above and other similar bourbons, WT101 is pretty much universally available.

Now, there are lots of people on here that will probably tell you that it's no good because it's not what it once was back in the day. I for one was not drinking back in the day and have no reference point for those sorts of claims. So, regardless of what it was like in the past, it seems pretty palatable (and sometimes, if I am in the mood for some wood, actually desirable).
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Well I guess I'll pick one up and judge for myself.
    That's the only way to learn what you prefer. At 20 bucks, there is little risk involved.

No amount of discussion by others on this forum will determine what you like or dislike. That's between you and your palate.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Old-timer here. WT101 is certainly not as good as it used to be, but it is still pretty good whiskey. I still buy it, sometimes.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Old-timer here. WT101 is certainly not as good as it used to be, but it is still pretty good whiskey. I still buy it, sometimes.

Tim
    Well, as comobourbon already said, I have not point of reference either, as I can't recall ever drinking any.

Maybe once when I was high school or college and just trying to get drunk, as that seemed to be the singular reason to imbibe back in those days, but I would drink damn near anything to achieve a buzz back then.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    OK, I will go ahead and wade into the very controversial, bitterly memory laden minefield of an issue that is the Wild Turkey distillery and say that WT101 pretty good. While there are cheaper and, IMHO, better alternatives for a value 100 proof whiskey (Evan Williams BIB or Fighting Cock comes to mind), WT101 at $20 is still a pretty good / fine value. Particularly if you like your bourbon with a relatively woodier and spicier profile (compared to, say, the thickly sweet profile of Fighting Cock), I say go for it. Also, unlike the two listed above and other similar bourbons, WT101 is pretty much universally available.

Now, there are lots of people on here that will probably tell you that it's no good because it's not what it once was back in the day. I for one was not drinking back in the day and have no reference point for those sorts of claims. So, regardless of what it was like in the past, it seems pretty palatable (and sometimes, if I am in the mood for some wood, actually desirable).
    Would you say that is has more wood in it than Weller 12, or Makers Mark? Both of those taste quite woody to me.

Guru

Wild Turkey 101 was a big, bold, spicy whisky 30+ years back but the expression on shelves today is a diminished version of it's former self. I could say the same of me so I'll give it a break. For the price of a fast food meal it's certainly worth a try.

Virtuoso

If you detect a lot of wood in those, you'll probably find more in WT101. It's going to be a lot spicier than those, so the wood may not be what you notice, comparatively.

My father-in-law drinks WT 90% of the time*, always on the rocks, so I've had my fair share of it, but I usually drink it on the rocks with him. When in Rome and all that. I enjoy it, but wouldn't buy it and drink neat like I usually drink whiskey.

* 90% of the time that he's drinking whiskey, not 90% of all time. Although sometimes there's little difference.

Guru

Hmmm, 90% of the time . . . well, I am retired. I suppose I would be limited to waking hours though I could dream.