Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Wild Turkey 101

  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Wild Turkey 101

    Went to the local liquor store and saw it for $20.00. Never tried it, that I can recall. Is it a pretty good one?

    Seems to be popular, but then so is Jack Daniels, which I do not like.

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Well I guess I'll pick one up and judge for myself.

  3. #3
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Columbia, Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    OK, I will go ahead and wade into the very controversial, bitterly memory laden minefield of an issue that is the Wild Turkey distillery and say that WT101 pretty good. While there are cheaper and, IMHO, better alternatives for a value 100 proof whiskey (Evan Williams BIB or Fighting Cock comes to mind), WT101 at $20 is still a pretty good / fine value. Particularly if you like your bourbon with a relatively woodier and spicier profile (compared to, say, the thickly sweet profile of Fighting Cock), I say go for it. Also, unlike the two listed above and other similar bourbons, WT101 is pretty much universally available.

    Now, there are lots of people on here that will probably tell you that it's no good because it's not what it once was back in the day. I for one was not drinking back in the day and have no reference point for those sorts of claims. So, regardless of what it was like in the past, it seems pretty palatable (and sometimes, if I am in the mood for some wood, actually desirable).
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

  4. #4
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Well I guess I'll pick one up and judge for myself.
    That's the only way to learn what you prefer. At 20 bucks, there is little risk involved.

    No amount of discussion by others on this forum will determine what you like or dislike. That's between you and your palate.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Pelham, AL
    Posts
    3,894

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Old-timer here. WT101 is certainly not as good as it used to be, but it is still pretty good whiskey. I still buy it, sometimes.

    Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Old-timer here. WT101 is certainly not as good as it used to be, but it is still pretty good whiskey. I still buy it, sometimes.

    Tim
    Well, as comobourbon already said, I have not point of reference either, as I can't recall ever drinking any.

    Maybe once when I was high school or college and just trying to get drunk, as that seemed to be the singular reason to imbibe back in those days, but I would drink damn near anything to achieve a buzz back then.

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    562

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    OK, I will go ahead and wade into the very controversial, bitterly memory laden minefield of an issue that is the Wild Turkey distillery and say that WT101 pretty good. While there are cheaper and, IMHO, better alternatives for a value 100 proof whiskey (Evan Williams BIB or Fighting Cock comes to mind), WT101 at $20 is still a pretty good / fine value. Particularly if you like your bourbon with a relatively woodier and spicier profile (compared to, say, the thickly sweet profile of Fighting Cock), I say go for it. Also, unlike the two listed above and other similar bourbons, WT101 is pretty much universally available.

    Now, there are lots of people on here that will probably tell you that it's no good because it's not what it once was back in the day. I for one was not drinking back in the day and have no reference point for those sorts of claims. So, regardless of what it was like in the past, it seems pretty palatable (and sometimes, if I am in the mood for some wood, actually desirable).
    Would you say that is has more wood in it than Weller 12, or Makers Mark? Both of those taste quite woody to me.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,118

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Wild Turkey 101 was a big, bold, spicy whisky 30+ years back but the expression on shelves today is a diminished version of it's former self. I could say the same of me so I'll give it a break. For the price of a fast food meal it's certainly worth a try.

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    If you detect a lot of wood in those, you'll probably find more in WT101. It's going to be a lot spicier than those, so the wood may not be what you notice, comparatively.

    My father-in-law drinks WT 90% of the time*, always on the rocks, so I've had my fair share of it, but I usually drink it on the rocks with him. When in Rome and all that. I enjoy it, but wouldn't buy it and drink neat like I usually drink whiskey.

    * 90% of the time that he's drinking whiskey, not 90% of all time. Although sometimes there's little difference.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,118

    Re: Wild Turkey 101

    Hmmm, 90% of the time . . . well, I am retired. I suppose I would be limited to waking hours though I could dream.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wild Turkey and wild turkeys
    By kc outdoorsman in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 13:46
  2. 1986 Wild Turkey 101 in 750ml Turkey and Skunks decanter
    By edo in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 20:43
  3. Wild Turkey & Cola, Wild Turkey & Dry
    By spun_cookie in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 16:00
  4. Wild Turkey 12ry vs. Wild Turkey 12 yr Linited Edition
    By Creggor in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2001, 14:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top