Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wild Turkey 101

Connoisseur

Re: Wild Turkey 101

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    It's currently $16+ ($17 w/tax) on sale here. At that price I'll stock up. It's my favorite <$20 available (main competition - Jim Beam Black @ $16 and Old Grand Dad 86 @ $15). At >$20, I just won't buy it. I use a dollar-value rating system and WT101 = $18.

[Not available: any other OGD, VOB, Weller, Old Forester. FC103, BT, Ritt100 are $24 here.]
    Tell us more about how that dollar-value rating system yields a price of $18 for WT. Is it a simple system we can use for any bourbon? Suggestions for how to adjust for variations in price from state to state? (In OH, if I understand you, WT is about $22 and should never be purchased.)
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Connoisseur

I paid $21 for this bottle, but I know I can probably get it for a dollar or two less at another shop here in town.

It's just not worth a dollar or two to drive the extra miles.

FWIW, I feel the WT101 is a fine and worthy bourbon. I like the spice and solid oak flavors it offers. Some Turkey on the rocks makes me a happy man. I don't know all the ins and outs of its distillery and "the old days" , but I've been pouring it for about ten years and am proud to say so.

Guru

So here's to another 10, my Grand Dad and I salute you.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Tell us more about how that dollar-value rating system yields a price of $18 for WT. Is it a simple system we can use for any bourbon? Suggestions for how to adjust for variations in price from state to state? (In OH, if I understand you, WT is about $22 and should never be purchased.)
    Well, I suppose ya caught me bending the truth there a bit. My system is simply a measure of my pleasure in monetary terms. I'm no stickler, if I desired a bottle of WT101 away from home and the price was $22, I'd buy it. I wouldn't bunker it at that price, though. I bunker for two reasons only, value and selection.

Thanks for asking, it helped to clarify my intention.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    If you detect a lot of wood in those, you'll probably find more in WT101. It's going to be a lot spicier than those, so the wood may not be what you notice, comparatively.

My father-in-law drinks WT 90% of the time*, always on the rocks, so I've had my fair share of it, but I usually drink it on the rocks with him. When in Rome and all that. I enjoy it, but wouldn't buy it and drink neat like I usually drink whiskey.

* 90% of the time that he's drinking whiskey, not 90% of all time. Although sometimes there's little difference.
    Sorry for the delay Alden. Your standards for quick posting are pretty intense!

Yes; this. It is both more woody (especially than MM) and a different kind of woody: less of the mellow sweet wood of the Weller line and more of a sharp, spicy wood.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    Sorry for the delay Alden. Your standards for quick posting are pretty intense!

Yes; this. It is both more woody (especially than MM) and a different kind of woody: less of the mellow sweet wood of the Weller line and more of a sharp, spicy wood.
    OK. I don't taste as much wood in it, when compared to MM or Weller, but maybe that's just because, like you just said, it's a different type of wood flavor. More spice. I'm going to take another sip in a bit here and see what I can pick up.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

OK, caramel, vanilla, honey, toasted oak, coffee, tobacco... that's all I'm getting.

I really like this stuff. It's a bit on the sweet side, and I have a sweet tooth.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Virtuoso

WT 101 is a go to bourbon for me. I always have a bottle. WT 101, EW Black, OGD BiB, and GD #12 are always in the house.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    OK. I don't taste as much wood in it, when compared to MM or Weller, but maybe that's just because, like you just said, it's a different type of wood flavor. More spice. I'm going to take another sip in a bit here and see what I can pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    OK, caramel, vanilla, honey, toasted oak, coffee, tobacco... that's all I'm getting.

I really like this stuff. It's a bit on the sweet side, and I have a sweet tooth.
    Good. I like it too.

BTW, I should have phrased my response "I taste more woodiness..." rather than "It is more woody..."

Even in your short time on the board, you've surely by now noticed the taste-is-subjective-and-personal, don't-let-anybody-tell-you-what-something-tastes-like orthodoxies. That's pretty much the standard response to questions like yours, and even if I think people sometimes use it to over-generalize and avoid committing to a specific opinion, I think it's really a pretty sensible answer.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut