Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

8 wired super conductor double ipa. It is tasty but I prefer the regular ipa from these kiwis.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Bell's Hopslam, wish they made this all year long.

Best regards, Tony
    I have to agree and I've been quite stingy with the very little that I did manage to procure this year,great stuff!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Hopslam went quickly this year.

Guru

21st Amendments Lower De Boom American style barleywine in the small cans. At 92 IBU I was concerned it would be too hoppy for me as I prefer the English barleywine style that is a bit less hoppy and perhaps a bit sweeter or maltier than some may prefer. But the hops were not too overdone so it was OK although I still prefer a well made English barleywine. And at 11.5% ABV the small 8.4 oz can was a nice size for this beer if you have other plans for the evening.

If not then you can always have two or three!

I also picked up a few cans of their Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. Haven't tried it yet as it might be better to save for when spring finally gets here on a full time basis.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I also picked up a few cans of their Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. Haven't tried it yet as it might be better to save for when spring finally gets here on a full time basis.
    I've only seen/had this once, in Asheville, but thought it was decent. Finished with more bitterness than I expected.

Distribution patterns are always interesting. 21st Amendment is in San Francisco, but they don't sell in the Chicago area. They do head even further east to GA and NC, though. I know there's a host of business reasons for how these decisions come to be made, but it's intriguing nonetheless.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    8y/o homebrew English Barleywine, was hoping it had dried out a little, but still a bit too sweet, even for an English BW, great flavor though, very complex. Then Hoppin' Frog Naked Evil Barrel-aged Barleywine
    You mentioned the local area brews in the now closed thread. How would you rate the new Dayton area microbrewies? (I've not had any yet, but hope to have some when we visit for Easter.) The ones I know of: Yellow Springs, Toxic, Dayton Beer Co, and Fifth Street Brew Pub Co-op. We'll probably try a couple of these as well as The Century bourbon bar.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sam Adams lager draft, often overlooked by the hard core been fans but one of the best out there. There are many iterations of Sam Adams but I still like the regular Boston lager the best.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Sam Adams lager draft, often overlooked by the hard core been fans but one of the best out there. There are many iterations of Sam Adams but I still like the regular Boston lager the best.

Gary
    I appreciate Sam Adams Boston Lager, too, but Utopias is the clear winner in terms of their best iteration.

Enthusiast

My favorite SA is the Lattitude 48 IPA, good balance of sweetness and hops.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary
    It could be argued that the current craft beer movement wouldn't be where it is without SA. For a long time Sam Adams Boston Lager was all there was nationally and it was the first beer I ever had that I really liked. Here is a pic of what started my love affair with beer:
    IMAG0044.jpg

I'm going to crack open this Pliny the Elder and see what all the fuss is about...
    Last edited by smknjoe; 03-25-2013 at 14:38. Reason: Added picture of old SA Lager bottle