Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    Sounds awesome! How was the taste?
    As a Stout it was fine. But I did not get a lot of barrel influence in it such as was the case with the Backwoods Bastard for example, which admittedly is a heavy Scotch Ale and not a stout and also a damned fine beer to begin with!

Overall I think it was probably the least impressive of the ones we tried compared to expectations going in. Which is not to say it was bad by any means.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

been liking rye IPAs
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Found a new brew around here today, Little Hump Spring Ale, by Highland Brewing Co in Asheville NC. Pretty decent little APA.

ETA: It also scored me a badge on untappd, NC Beer Month woohoo!

Advanced Taster

I can't get enough of hoppy beers right now. I had Hoppy Poppy from Cellar Dweller (new OH brewery) at a benefit last night. Drinking James tonight. It's a black IPA from Hill Farmstead. Lots of citrus hops on the nose with just a hint of roast. The flavor has more roast, but overall it takes a backseat to the citrus hops with grapefruit peel and some resinous bitterness. Full bodied and well balanced. I'm not a big fan of black IPAs, but this is certainly one of the better ones I've been able to try. (Unfortunately I had growlers of Edward first and while good, this pales in comparison to Edward - one of my favorite hoppy beers so far from HF.)

Disciple

Spilt some beers with some of the neighbors before moving onto some bourbon. We drank a bomber of 3 Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf, Lagnitas Sucks, and some Half Acre Daisy Cutter. A good DIPA/IPA/Pale Ale beer night!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Sounds like a fun night, Bob.

I have drunk a few Three Floyds Zombie Dust over the last couple days thanks to a fellow SB.com member. You guys have some great beer in the Midwest.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Opened a number of brews for a buddy's birthday yesterday. Mostly peach sours - Peche n Brett, Fantasia, Sour in the Rye Peach - then Fou'Foune from Cantillon, a homebrew mango sour. Finished with a few bigger brews - Hill Farmstead Birth of Tragedy (BB porter with coffee and honey) and Before the Dawn (Rye barrel aged american black barleywine). Enjoyed the Birth of Tragedy, but was amazed by the Before the Dawn; beautiful aroma with caramel and vanilla balanced with toffee and sweet roast, smooth barrel character with no apparent heat (from a 13.7%) and a great mix of barrel, sweetness, and roasted notes in the flavor. I don't know how difficult this is/was to acquire, but if you see it anywhere, I recommend picking up a bottle or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    Opened a number of brews for a buddy's birthday yesterday. Mostly peach sours - Peche n Brett, Fantasia, Sour in the Rye Peach - then Fou'Foune from Cantillon, a homebrew mango sour. Finished with a few bigger brews - Hill Farmstead Birth of Tragedy (BB porter with coffee and honey) and Before the Dawn (Rye barrel aged american black barleywine). Enjoyed the Birth of Tragedy, but was amazed by the Before the Dawn; beautiful aroma with caramel and vanilla balanced with toffee and sweet roast, smooth barrel character with no apparent heat (from a 13.7%) and a great mix of barrel, sweetness, and roasted notes in the flavor. I don't know how difficult this is/was to acquire, but if you see it anywhere, I recommend picking up a bottle or two.
    Hill farmstead beers are not exactly easy to acquire.

Advanced Taster

I know. I see that I wasn't clear. The Hill Farmstead beer was Birth of Tragedy; it was very good, but I know that it's not easy to come by.

I was actually recommending that people pick up the Before the Dawn, which is produced by Steel Toe brewing in Minnesota. I gather that they're relatively new since someone mentioned that this was their first or second barrel aged brew. It was a great beer that I'd love to have again. It's ready now, but could certainly be held in the cellar for a couple of years as well.

Virtuoso

Just cracked open a Rochefort 8. The stuff is amazing. Really looking forward to trying the 10 later.